Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird problem after reseating CMOS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chiki

Chiki

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

So I reseated my CMOS to fix an issue I had where my computer wouldn't get past the BIOS splash screen.

After turning my computer back on I noticed that my main monitor is only running at 60hz at 1080p instead of 120hz 1080p

I restarted my computer and my main monitor was now running 100hz 720p. With no option to change it back to 1080p.

I restarted it again and now it's at 100hz 720p but I can change it back to 1080p but only at 60hz.

I did move my displayport cord around a little at the connection to the graphics card and everything became normal again. Until I went to bed and woke up and noticed that the problem has come back after turning the computer back on.

I've tried 3 different DP ports on my graphics card and my monitor only has 1 DP port.

Anyone ever had this issue before that can help me?

EDIT: I've also just noticed that my monitor is appearing as a Generic PNP monitor instead of being recognised as a BenQ monitor like it used to.

Edited by Chiki, 01 January 2017 - 03:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

Os is what.

Video card is what ?

Video driver version is what ?

How can anyone help you if they know nothing about your system ?

#3 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

Os is what.

Video card is what ?

Video driver version is what ?

How can anyone help you if they know nothing about your system ?

Windows 8.1
GTX 960 Strix
Driver version 375.95

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

Right click on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution.

Click on the Advanced Settings link in the Screen Resolution Window.

Select the Monitor tab.

From the drop-down list, select a suitable refresh rate.

Might have to change monitor driver as well if its not giving you the options your looking for.

Some older versions of windows you could turn off auto detect as well and for the system to do whatever you wanted on this topic.

#5 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

I've only just got back on this computer recently, the issue happened in Oct/Nov I think.
I just updated my drivers for the graphics card and now when I restart my computer it boots up in 1280x720, but allows me to swap to 1080p and change the refresh rate to 120hz. Before 1080p at 120hz wasn't available...

I'm still not sure what is happening haha.

I'll restart a few more times and see if it will keep allowing me to change back to my usual settings.

#6 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:19 AM

Just restarted and now it's doing the old trick.

b0eMfCh.png

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

Wana try something?

Stuff this driver in the hole and see what happens, its for the SONY GDM-FW900 24" CRT , this screen use to be able to do 200Hz if you wanted, i use to use this trick in win98 when windows would go full retard on me on the monitor topic, i would stuff any driver in the hole just to get it to do what i wanted refresh wise and all res are native on a CRT so you should be able to pick anything you want on that level, recomended res for the CRT was 1920x1200 or something, i forget.

Use to own one too but it died :(

Worse case boot in safe mode and remove driver if it doesn't work out.

http://www.driverscape.com/download/sony-gdm-fw900

As well do you know how to turn off auto detect mode in win8 when it comes to monitors ?

Seems windows turning in to a turd on the refresh topic is old news, all the versions seem to like going their at times.

#8 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Sadly both of those options didn't fix my problem :( .

When I moved the displayport cable around where it is connected to the graphics card, it fixed itself, but has never done the same thing again. I don't have any other DP devices to test this idea on but is it possible that my DP cable is the cause? 

Because the problem is intermittent with restarts, it shouldn't be the cable but I can't help but think it is. Any of troubleshooting methods I can do before purchasing a new cable to test with?

#9 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

This only happens on displayport, I can use my DVI cable instead but that means I cannot use my second monitor as that utilizes the single DVI port (need to upgrade, I know).

The issue is probably something trivial but I just can't figure out what's doing it.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

BAD CABLE or connector

#11 Chiki

Chiki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:19 AM

So I found out what the problem was.

Although the symptoms were pointing to a bad cable or connector.

I read a post from: https://evert.meulie.net/2015/01/25/no-signal-displayport-fix/

He mentions that the capacitors in your monitor need to fully discharge (as mine may not have been doing).

So I unplugged my monitors from the mains for over a minute and plugged them back in. Problem fixed.

The issue was only present on DP, and not when using DVI, HDMI etc.

I was experiencing random resolution and refresh rate changes as well as no signal detected which helped me to discover that post from Evert. I hope this helps other people with this problem! 

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

Thats why i don't like auto detect in windows, manual is the best way to go and the user of the computer should all way have full control over the refresh rate as they see fit, im in winXP and i have no problems on this topic, i can do whatever i want with my refresh.

refresh2.jpg

refresh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users