Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting To Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ghedi

ghedi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

hi i am new to this so hopefully you can help me. I have a compaq persario and i want to revert it to the factory settings. Last time i wanted to do this i was still under warrenty and they walked me right through the process, no start up disk required, now i need to pay for tech support and they want 100 bucks. I can;t afford that, I just wanan know if anyone knows how on a compaq with windows xp how i revert to my factory settings?

thank you all that will help me,
davey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:07 PM

Do you have the recovery disks that usually come with Presarios?
Reverting to factory settings will delete ALL applications and data files you have put on your computer since you got the PC, so be sure to make backup copies of all important data before doing anything. This seems to be a drastic measure---is there a reason you want to do this?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

In the Compaq's Start Menu is something like Compaq Tools and in there it'll have the options for restoring things.

You can also order the recovery disks from Compaq - about $16 including shipping.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TyLurr

TyLurr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:00 AM

Have you tried the system resotre feature in the start menu? :thumbsup:

#5 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

I hope this is not inappropriate here but what would be the totality of going back to factory setting?

All files , folders, programs, anti ad aware and antivirus stuff I suppose disappear but what about ad aware, viruses, trojans, corupted registry and other computer problems?
Perhaps drastic for some but I wouldn' t mind starting over.
Would I be starting with a completely 'new machine'?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:53 AM

Generally there's 2 types of factory restore - the destructive and non-destructive.

The non-destructive is similar to a Windows repair installation and will leave your data and program files alone.

The destructive version will generally re-image your hard drive to the way it was when it left the factory. This will usually eliminate the viruses/spyware and all your programs and data - and will, as an added benefit (:thumbsup:), restore all the crapware that came preinstalled on the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for that info.

I may have to resort to seing my 'crap' again but that could be better than what I've got now!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

FWIW - someone else posted this in another thread. It's supposed to remove all the crapware that comes preinstalled on systems: http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users