Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Post and Failed HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matthiaspowerbomb

matthiaspowerbomb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

Hello all. This is my first post as a registered user. I've been here before when searches for other issues inevitably brought me here more often than not, but never registered until now.

I have a serious problem I need help with. My problem is this:

I had a HDD fail with a bad boot sector.

Here's what happened:

The computer was running a little poorly. It had been a bit since the last restart, so I restarted, then it wouldn't boot up again. I went through a lot of things trying to get it to boot, but ultimately it never would. So now I'm on a new HDD and a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro (I'm not a fan of W10).

I have a StarTech external caddy. Since the failure, I've tried some things to get the drive to read so I could at least get some files off of it, but it still wouldn't. But today I used a program called EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard (Free version). It ran a deep scan that took all day, but I was encouraged when it actually found quite a few files.

After it was complete, I selected the files and told it to recover. It did and outputted them to a folder, but when I checked the files, they were gibberish.

Here's the issue:

There were a number of files I would have liked to recover, but mainly I'm after documents for a novel in-progress. Luckily I backed up fairly regularly, but there were a number of files I hadn't backed up as recently as I should have, and a few I never got the chance to before the drive failed. In fact, one was the prologue for the second book. I had literally just finished a draft of it right before I restarted. I half-considered backing it up first, but the computer was acting up, so I figured I'd just do it after a restart. But it never restarted again.

So my question is this:

Are the gibberish files (the text documents were just walls of nonsense text and symbols when I opened them) actually recoverable, or is what Data Recovery Wizard got the best that can be done? Are there other options or methods that might yield better results? Could they find and recover my documents in a readable form?

Thanks to all who answer.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

Try your luck with this and see if it helps.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users