Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cant boot to ANY OS using a HDD or USB. Only thing left to try is changing CPU

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thuunbot

thuunbot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hey guys,

Ok so I just signed up to this forum in hopes that one of you guys can help me with this problem; I have exhausted all of my own knowledge.
Briefly about me: I am a basic computer tech that is A+ certified. I have a decent amount of experience with computers but know FAR from everything.

This situation has humbled me greatly and am looking to learn from this. This is the hardest issue I have had to deal with to date.

Backstory (point form and brief as possible)

-Flashed my Bios (Gigabyte z97 gaming 3) using windows app @bios provided by gigabyte
-computer turned off and on repeatedly (simulated a POST failutre)
- Hard rebooted, computer POSTs but crashes at the windows logo/spinning dots.
-Attempted to boot from the windows 10 USB, same error...
tried windows 7 usb... same error (different logo)....
tried Ubuntu USB... crashed after slight load.. so same error but it looks different :P

NOTE: I attempted disconnecting all of my hard drives, no avail.

Summary : Computer POSTs but can not load ANY OS I throw at it.

Fix attempts (none fix my issue)
-remove RAM and change slots one at a time

-disconnect drives one at a time including all drives in attempt to boot from USB

-Reflash BIOS

-Use Backup BIOS

-Remove all possible PCI cards

-Change following BIOS settings: Fast Boot; Intel Rapid storage; Sata Config RAID/AHCI/IDE; almost everything other than temp/voltage (have NEVER OC'd any part of my system.. more to list, almost every setting all changed one at a time

and lastly:

-BOUGHT A COMPLETELY NEW MOTHERBOARD (now I'm here)

I don't know what to do. I figure it can't be my processor, the system would not POST, Correct?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but who knows maybe someone can help..

Thanks!!

System specs:
I7 4790k
gigabyte z97 gaming3 (and also Z97x SLI was the replacement)
16gb Adata RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

How did you create the bootable USB flash drives? If you used Rufus you can disregard my post as you pretty much covered all possible angles. Just make sure Quickboot is still disabled.

Use the Ubuntu iso you downloaded with Rufus. Attach your flash drive, start Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is listed in the first box. Select GPT partition for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box if FreeDos is listed. Click the icon and browse to your Ubuntu iso. Press Start.

Attach the flash drive. Boot the computer and tap F12. This will bring up a boot menu and it should show your USB flash drive. 

Did you download the latest Ubuntu iso version 16.04LTS?

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

Nice to see someone that knows what their doing for a change, and yes CPU can be half broken and still half work.

One thing you haven't tried if you can get in to the bios, drop all speed of the system down by 50% on ram and cpu / chip-set / video card etc, over volt a little if you want too as well disable all integrated everything, put the hole bios settings in to safe mode if you know what i mean.

Heat sink is what ? if you say Intel shocker im'a bop ya on the head.

Got a backup video card for testing ?

Run system on min hardware, anything added in besides what you need to run a live boot version of Linux dont use, one stick of ram only too plz, use different ram if you have.

#4 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

UPDATE: 

I reinstalled my original motherboard and a (semi) miracle: I can load into a) my USB drives and B) my boot disk

the catch: When I get to the windows logon, the system is hard-frozen... I am a little nervous to keep changing settings after this progress, but I feel as though there was a hardware issue.

Question:
Is there any possible way that a BIOS update would cause hardware issues outside of the motherboard itself? The issue was cross-motherboard so I am left to believe that the issue is still somewhere else. Perhaps a complete dismantling removed excess electricity from some of the components .. (who knows). 

I only have my SSD plugged in for now, maybe the system is looking for previous BIOS settings... would there any way to make windows accept the NEW settings ?

Hey JohnC
Yes I definitely used Rufus (god bless). My system was always able to start the boot into any device, but locks up shortly there-after.

Hi Shadow
Yes, intel LOL
I am using the onboard graphics for now, I removed the graphics card to see if it was the culprate, stuck with onboard since. All of my temp settings seem to be set to AUTO. Like I said, I have had no need to OC my equipment and did not want to risk doing so ESPECIALLY with the standard heatsink.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

high end cpu with trash heat sink yay, max temp for cpu is 72c / TDP90, btw i remember not long ago someone tried that setup and when i tested under full load/stress testing the temp would get so high, so fast the system would crash in 5 sec after starting a full load cpu test with the trash intel cooler.

"A" lose the heat sink, if you can spend $300 on a unlocked cpu you can spend at lest $50 on a heat sink.

"B" might be too late and perment cpu damage might have all ready set in if your using the same cpu on both test boards.

#6 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

I'd avoid using Gigabytes Windows based bios update program as I've heard it has a pretty good chance to mess things up. Putting the update on a flash drive and installing within bios is supposedly safer.

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 31 December 2016 - 09:34 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Is it possible a defective PSU could be causing this problem. Boots up but once under some load the PSU basically says I've had enough.

#8 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

If you had access to compatible parts, a fast way to go about it would be to swap out one known good part at a time on a test bench. Also, disable power saving mode on Windows 10. It's been known to cause crashes under load.

#9 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hi Blackcat,

I agree that program is toxic and should be removed from their website. I have used Windows based flash utilities (HP comes to mind) with success so I went through with the procedure. My mistake !!

Anyways I am now able to access my USB but the system is bluescreening while trying to install windows 10. I am wondering if my SSD is toast.

I am getting what seems to be a new Stop Code error with every blue screen

Back and forth between
kmode exception not handled  

and IRQL not LESS than or Equal to

No driver names are listed beside these errors like I am seeing on various help websites. 

Time to keep the grind going.

#10 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

Do you have a motherboard speaker attached? If so, does it beep?

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

I only flash a bios from DOS or better from the bios tool it self,if you can flash from dos that means bios virus can too, if the only way to do it is from within the bios with a built in tool that's the way to go, better would be a jumper that when set to the right place would lock out anyone ability to flash anything on a hardware level.

Doing it in windows or some internet flash + windows topic is just retarded and the people that came up with this topic should be shot.

I am wondering if my SSD is toast.

SSD shouldn't be conceded when testing, and Jhon PSU topic is right as well.

If i were you as well seeing as it seems like it could be the cpu big way i would drop the speed on it big time for testing.

#12 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

I might be dense, but I can't seem to underclock my cpu on this motherboard. The only adjustable settings seem to go UP. 

So I decided to format my SSD but it just blue screens mid install. I don't know what to make of it right now so I will probably sleep on it.

Happy New Years all thanks for the help !

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:24 AM

Some gigabite boards hide advaced bios settings, to enable them if its like all the other gigabite bords you press both keys CTRL-F1 once in the bios ^^

Happy New Years too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users