Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi not working

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Just got a Dell Mini 1010, Win. XP at a flea market, looks great and everything is working, except the WiFi, I set up my password and it showed all was well, shows a strong signal, but when I try to get a program, like Google, it  says no connection, I know there is a Wi-Fi switch on it but cannot find it, tried hitting F2 after I found out this was supposed to set the WI-Fi, still no signal, even when it says strong signal. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Open a command prompt and type

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the reply John, did as directed and and when I hit enter was told to reboot, did so, noticed a new icon like a magnifying glass, that said Indexing Complete. Still no signal there is an x'ed out icon saying a network cable is unplugged. If I insert an ethernet cable I get a signal. Should not need an ethernet, right?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

This computer also has an internet port? Does it connect when using Ethernet?

Right click the wifi adapter in Device Manager, select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware Ids in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

This is crazy, device manager shows no errors, shows a strong signal, yet no signal even with an Ethernet hook up??

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

Right click the wifi or LAN icon in the System Tray and select Repair. If that does not work then download Windows Repair and only check the box next to Network Repair. It is getting late for me so I will respond to the results tomorrow. If things still are not right we can reinstall XP on a USB flash drive or use a small linux distro which will be extremely more secure than XP.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

Right click the wifi or LAN icon in the System Tray and select Repair. If that does not work then download Windows Repair and only check the box next to Network Repair. It is getting late for me so I will respond to the results tomorrow. If things still are not right we can reinstall XP on a USB flash drive or use a small linux distro which will be extremely more secure than XP.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Thanks John, cannot download anything here is the latest:
l Went on control panel for network connections, this is what I found. Under "Lan or High speed Connections. Connected" Local Area Connection Connected, Wireless Network Connection. Connected then under "Internet Gateway" Disabled. clicked on enable, got "connection failed".

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

There is no other computer you can access? You are currently posting from a phone? That will make things much harder. There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, correct? I would usually advise to uninstall the drivers in Device Manager and then reinstall but unfortunately you cannot do this. 

If you know somebody with a USB wifi dongle that would help. It would get you on the internet if it's not a Windows problem.

Internet gateway would be your router/modem. Can you reboot your modem and router? Also make sure you are getting a IP address and DNS address automatically.

What XP SP is on the computer? Right click Computer > Properties.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. On XP you need to click the little icon in the menu bar and then select Edit > Select All. Then Edit > copy. Paste to text file. Save the text file to a USB flash drive. If you are posting from a computer then paste the text file from the flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 January 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

I might do something simple like change the antenna and see what happens, you do have one right O_o ?

#10 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I might do something simple like change the antenna and see what happens, you do have one right O_o ?

Thanks No antenna.

#11 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

There is no other computer you can access? You are currently posting from a phone? That will make things much harder. There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, correct? I would usually advise to uninstall the drivers in Device Manager and then reinstall but unfortunately you cannot do this. 

If you know somebody with a USB wifi dongle that would help. It would get you on the internet if it's not a Windows problem.

Internet gateway would be your router/modem. Can you reboot your modem and router? Also make sure you are getting a IP address and DNS address automatically.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. On XP you need to click the little icon in the menu bar and then select Edit > Select All. Then Edit > copy. Paste to text file. Save the text file to a USB flash drive. If you are posting from a computer then paste the text file from the flash drive.

John the SP is 3 did the ip cannot find  "edit"

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

You need to click the little icon in the left corner of the command prompt window then select Edit > Copy.

Capturev.jpg

#13 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

You need to click the little icon in the left corner of the command prompt window then select Edit > Copy.

Capturev.jpg

John, about the dongle, I have a few of them, but don't you need to insert a disk to operate, I have tried using a exterior HD on this thing and it will not recognize it.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Some of the dongles are simple plug and play. No driver needed. Seems XP is broken or the USB port. How many USB ports are on the computer? Connect the drive to every port. See if a USB flash drive gets detected.  What hare you posting from? You cannot download programs on another computer and transfer via flash drive? 

#15 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Some of the dongles are simple plug and play. No driver needed. Seems XP is broken or the USB port. How many USB ports are on the computer? Connect the drive to every port. See if a USB flash drive gets detected.  What hare you posting from? You cannot download programs on another computer and transfer via flash drive? 

The USB drives work, I have a mouse on one there are two, none of my adapters are plug and play. I have access to another computer now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users