Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 boot fails unless from UEFI USB stick

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mosarani

mosarani

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

I have a Dell E6250 laptop.  I originally purchased it with Windows 7 and later upgraded to windows 10.

After some months of recurring BSOD issues that I never successfully diagnosed, the machine stopped being able to boot windows.

I created a windows 10 recovery USB stick from another, functioning computer, and I was able to reinstall windows on the Dell by booting off the stick.  Everything appears to be working fine...

However, now when I restart the computer it freezes at a black screen with a blinking cursor prior to Windows booting.  I am unable to enter any inputs here.

I can continue to boot windows normally, but only when I use the memory stick:  Hitting F12 upon CPU initialization and choosing the option UEFI: INT13(RAID,0x80).  There's another option UEFI: INT13(,0x81) that fails to load when I choose it.

How can I fix this computer so that it is successfully able to boot off of its internal hard drive rather than relying on an external memory stick? How do I troubleshoot the black screen blinking cursor issue, given that I can get the computer to boot successfully?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mosarani

mosarani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

I was eventually able to solve my own problem.  Noting here for reference.

It seems in the history of my computer with windows 7 and 10 and then corrupted file and repair issues, I had some boot options that were essentially dead-ends.

I was able to solve the problem by going into BIOS settings and forcing the machine to look at UEFI HDD first in the boot sequence.  This appears to have solved my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users