Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single computer cannot connect to router GUI via multiple browsers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jmbach

jmbach

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

I have one computer running Windows 10 Professional x64 that seeming suddenly developed a problem connecting to the router's GUI. It does not matter which browser I use, Firefox, Chrome, IE, Edge.  They all cannot connect.   Chrome gives me an "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET". IE gives me "This page can’t be displayed".  Edge gives me "Hmm, we can't reach this page.  Firefox gives me "The connection was reset".  Other computers on my network can connect without issue and are running the same OS as the computer in question.  I have tried both wired and wireless connections.   My router is a SonicWall 250M.  I have the same Kaspersky antivirus on my computers.  I have disabled (but not uninstalled) Kaspersky on the computer in question without any change in outcome.  I have changed the computers IP address without any change in outcome.  The HOST file on my computer has not changed and remains the windows default configuration.  Have flushed DNS, reset winsock, , reset tcpip stack, updated drivers, complete in-depth scan with Kaspersky without anything being found.  I can access the wireless AP GUI, my network printers GUI, and my NAS GUI on my network.  I am hoping to resolve this without having to do a clean reinstall of windows.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

What IP are you using to try to connect to the GUI? Can the computer that can't connect to that IP ping that IP? If not, what error do you get? Does the router use DHCP? If so, does the GUI IP match the default gateway IP the router is giving out? Last, do any of the GUI IP's of the other devices come close to the Sonicwall's IP?

#3 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

What IP are you using to try to connect to the GUI?

Can the computer that can't connect to that IP ping that IP? If not, what error do you get?

Yes it pings that address just fine. Latency less than 50ms.

Does the router use DHCP? If so, does the GUI IP match the default gateway IP the router is giving out?

Router is fixed IP address with it being the DHCP server as well. The GUI IP matches the gateway router IP.

Last, do any of the GUI IP's of the other devices come close to the Sonicwall's IP?

Yes the wireless AP address is 192.168.1.2

That being said, no other computer on the network, both wired or wireless, has an issue connecting and they all get served IP addresses from the same router.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Sorry, quotes don't work on my computer since I have blocked elements of ActiveX here for saftey. 

"Yes it pings that address just fine. Latency less than 50ms."

50ms!?! Thats alot considering you are connected directly to it. I have a feeling someone on your network is set for the 192.168.1.1 IP and it is conflicting. Only way to find out what it is is by isolating the different devices.

#5 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:44 PM

If that is the case, then I would expect all the other computers on the same network to have the same issue would they not? They have no issues connecting to the routers GUI.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have no idea, all I am telling you is it is unusual to have latency above 1ms to the router on a wired connection. Can you post a tracert the IP?

Edited by Trikein, 31 December 2016 - 05:54 PM.

#7 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

That latency was through the wireless AP which is how I usually connect. A couple more things. My router serves out DHCP addresses only to known MAC addresses. You have me wondering now. There are a couple of virtual network adapters that have been there for a while and when computer connected just fine to the router but perhaps one of them took on the persona of 192.168.1.1. I do have these adapter on a few other computers that connect ok still but perhaps something happened on that one computer. When I get back home from work I'll check it out.

#8 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

Without the virtual adapters, the problem still exists.

Clarification. Latency is 5 ms and TTL is 64.

I am beginning to believe that the issue is with the computer itself.  Not sure what though.

#9 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

There are reports of Kaspersky interfering with connections to router admin interfaces. Both Kaspersky 2016 and 2017 seem affected, in circumtances that  that are unclear. It is worth looking through the reports on the Kaspersky forum ( https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=156 ), but I dont think I've seen anything short of a Kaspersky uninstall get around the issue. Not all installations seem affected.

x64

Edited by x64, 02 January 2017 - 02:00 AM.

#10 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

That was the issue.  Only completely uninstalling Kaspersky solved the issue.  Disabling Kaspersky did not.  Thanks for the reference.

#11 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

It's certainly a very weird issue. I've been using Kaspersy protection suites for years without issues myself (on a couple of systems). In the middle of last year I moved from conventional copper broadband to FTTC and obviously had to replace my Netgear router with a FTTC capable Zyxel. No problem connecting to the router inerface on either the 'old' Netgear or newer Zyxel, from either my main desktop PC or old laptop.

Then a month ago, a relative's ISP supplied 'cheapo' copper broadband router started playing up and I replaced it with my old but still functional/current Netgear. Whilst installing that router, my old laptop (which worked with thar same router previously when it was on my own connection) failed to be able to connect to the admin interface. Very strange, especially as my relative's system could access the router. I didn't have time to run network traces to help diagnose it as I had to get the router installed and move on. 

From the posts on the Kaspersk forum it does not look like the Kaspersky techs are on top of the issue, but are promising a fix in the 2018 version currenly in beta (???!!!)

Oh well!......

x64

#12 jmbach

jmbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

The other issue Kaspersky was causing me was a lot of buffering on videos. I was trying to watch a webinar for work this past weekend and it took 30 minutes to watch 5 minutes of webinar. I thought it was just my internet connection but another computer without Kaspersky ran the webinar without any buffering. Once I uninstalled Kaspersky, the webinar ran without any buffering. For now I will use another program for AV protection. It is a shame as I have 800 days of protection left on Kaspersky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users