Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crumbling Windows 7 needs Fresh Install

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 book.weaver

book.weaver

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hello,

My system is crumbling to bits and bytes, and I need a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium.  I have never done this before and need some guidance.  If anyone has time to walk me through, I would very much appreciate it!  =)

Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Computer:  HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

CPU:  AMD A6-3420M APU

Ram:  4 GB

Here is some info about what’s wrong with my current system, just in case it is useful. 

“Unfortunately, your operating system has become exceptionally corrupt. For example, Windows Resource Protection replaced winload.exe. Winload is the operating system boot loader and loads the NT Kernel (NTOSKRNL.EXE), the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL.DLL), dependencies, kernel drivers, and the SYSTEM registry hive. It's a wonder how you even managed to boot! Windows Resource Protection, also replaced conhost.exe (Win32 console), consent.exe (User Account Control), wuauclt.exe (Windows Update), iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer) — and over a thousand other system files! In my opinion, you might just want to eventually reinstall Windows. I'll leave that up to you. If you need help with that, post in the Windows 7 forum.”

~bwv848

Malware has been obliterated but I’m posting this for anyone interested:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632460/decompression-bombs-and-runtime-error-r6025/

System issueshttps://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632944/avast-side-by-side-configuration-is-incorrect/page-4#entry4150872

Link to log of corrupted files (insanely long list!):  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Q2G79CXKGuVXRHbHUyX3FqV00/view?usp=sharing

I am backing up files at the time, as I usually do (as in personal files) and I’m not quite ready for the install yet.  I have a 4gb flash drive, 4gb rewritable disk, and a new 16 gb micro SD card with adapter.  I also have a few questions already…   :blush:

1.       What entirely do I need to back up?  I don’t want any corrupted files coming along and messing things up.

2.       When this is completed will I need to reinstall every non-windows program I want and reset ALL of my settings?  For example, it took a while to get the screen resolution right.  How would I save any settings –if that’s even possible?

3.       Oh, will I need to reinstall my MS Office Suite afterward, too?  I have the disks somewhere…

4.       I read new Windows installs can result in myriads of updates, how do I get them in segments rather than one big chunk?  (My battery is fried, I don’t think I can install a new one yet because my system is so messed up, and I don’t want to risk a critical thermal event.)

5.       Will I have enough space?  I don’t use hibernation but what is the Paging file thing?  Would that be an issue?  Also, I may eventually like to create a partition for a dual boot with Ubuntu –separate topic, but I would like to ensure it could be possible to perform in the future.

6.       Additionally, it would be handy if the fresh install didn’t have all the HP bloatware that I finally got rid of and if my PC had fewer weird extraneous background processes going on (it has overheated a few times.)  If the HP stuff is unavoidable, I remember how to do away with it, so that’s okay.

I apologize for the long post, I wasn’t sure what all to include here or where to start.  :unsure:   Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Greetings,

I just wanted to warn you that your hard drive may very well be failing. CHKDSK running by itself is not a good sign. (I deleted my other post in your other thread.)

Please back-up all your personal data to an EXTERNAL storage device immediately.  First step is to let us have a look at the CHKDSK log:

• Open the Start Menu, and in the Search programs and files box, type powershell.exe.
• Right-click on powershell.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Copy this command:

Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
• You will find a file called CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste the log in your next reply.

Then, please publish a snapshot with Speccy. It'll give us some SMART data.

Speccy by Piriform

• Download and save Speccy from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe, and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
• Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

Edited by bwv848, 31 December 2016 - 06:23 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638587

Louis

#4 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

As soon as powershell opened, it stopped working and was checking for solutions, then produced a vague dialogue box, which I uploaded.  https://goo.gl/photos/FoQmyLjgshTjogB67

I still have Everything installed, because it’s nice to have, and searched but found no CHKDSKResults.txt.  I deleted characters little by little and CHKDSK was the only term with results.  There are manifests, but I don’t know alternate ways to get the log.  The screenshot to the list of all CHKDSK items is in the above link.

Here is the Speccy link:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ah5lfKh1Dokf8jZaVEiK2Cd

Louis, thank you very much for the link!  That really helped answer some of my questions.  I didn’t have the HP Recovery Manager installed anymore.  I just reinstalled it from the HP website.  I’m going to wait to see my hard drive’s condition before I try anything yet, though.  Thank you again, sir, for the useful information!

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

OK, thanks, never seen PowerShell crash before. Try Option 1 in this tutorial to fetch us the CHKDSK log. :)

The S.M.A.R.T data that Speccy reported looks good, but your CPU and HD temperatures are a little bit high. I suggest you run Seagate SeaTools, since you do have a Seagate drive. (It'd be preferable to run bootable HD diagnostics, but in my opinion burning disks/USBs can get a little bit complicated, especially when you don't have any that are "usable".)

The tutorial for running SeaTools is here. Do not attempt to "fix" the drive; run the short drive self test, short generic test, then the long generic test if the short generic test passes. Please follow the instructions very carefully! 

Thanks! (Feel free to post the CHKDSK log before running SeaTools.)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

I think the computer restarted a couple times, not sure if this is the only log from yesterday.  Sorry that took so long!

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  326400 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  2155 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        0 EA records processed.                                              9847 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  428818 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  326400 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 2254 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2254 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2254 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  51210 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  36716448 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

706371583 KB total disk space.
 477127900 KB in 271992 files.
    156588 KB in 51211 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    453323 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 228633772 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 176592895 total allocation units on disk.
  57158443 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 fb 04 00 8e ee 04 00 4c 04 09 00 00 00 00 00  ........L.......
a6 16 00 00 77 26 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....w&..........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

#7 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

P.S. I got all my data onto my 16 gb SD Card, and 8 gb (not 4gb, typo in earlier post) flash drive.  Turns out I have two 4gb disks at my disposal, if that helps.  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

If you are sure you have all your data include browse bookmarks then HP should allow you to do a factory reset by tapping F11 at boot.

Tapping Esc at boot gives a menu that allows you to do a system diagnostic including hard drive and memory.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT0

#9 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

I am going to have to continue sometime tomorrow.  I installed SeaTools and was going to run it when I get back on tomorrow...would it be better to do the boot system diagnostic beforehand?  Or to do them both in either order?

I was going to finish checking on things before the factory reset, but if doing so sooner is better than that's totally fine.  You're the experts, not me -obviously, haha.  

Thank you all so much for helping me over a holiday weekend.  (Happy New Year, by the way! :) )  It is a HUGE relief to have this support when my system is so frail that I'm afraid it could go kaput any minute!  You're heroes!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

Seatools for Windows is okay. Sometimes the internal diagnostics can find things third party tools do not but if Seatools says the drive is good on both the short and long tests I would say the drive is good for a reinstall. Just remember, doing a hard drive test can put enough stress on a failing drive to render it unable to boot but I would still go ahead with the test once you are sure you have all data backed up.

I would do the following in addition to backing up your data especially if the Windows 7 key on the COA sticker is not legible. Do this before the drive test. Download Advanced Token Manager. Unzip it to a folder on your hard drive. Run the program and click the backup button. This will save your activation files to a subfolder in the unzipped folder on your hard drive. Once backed up copy the unzipped folder to a USB flash drive. Doing this would allow you to reactivate the OS even if you use a non-OEM iso of Windows 7 to reinstall should the diagnostic determine the drive is failing. 

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

#11 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Alright, I have backed up Windows to a disk.  I tried to back up Office, too, but because my OneNote was updated to 2016 from 2010, I had a minor issue.  I skipped that; I know I have the Office 2010 disks somewhere.  Thank you so much for the extra reassurance!  ^_^  I'll be starting SeaTools now...

#12 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

The first two tests (short drive self test, short generic test) passed and the Long Generic is underway, begun @ 11:15 am EST.  This is the only window I have open aside from the test; the laptop is running quietly and isn't to hot, but I'll definitely continue to monitor it.

#13 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

It passed, it passed!   :grinner:   Since bwv848 was kind enough to check up with me and warn me about the possible failing hard drive, I've been like  :blink: trying my best to relax and not panic.  Thank you everyone for helping check my hard drive!  I am still a little nervous about the restore, but for the most part I'm very relieved.   :dance:

I had a couple questions/comments before continuing.  

1.  Should I run the boot system diagnostic or do you think SeaTools covered the check well enough?

2.  All I have left of HP software is the HP Recovery Manager and the Download Assistant thing, since I just reinstalled them.  Previously, HP Games kept getting infected, HP Support Assistant could be quite obnoxious, and there were always TONS of HP tasks running in the background, even of HP software I didn't use...so when InadequateInfirmity was suggesting possible programs to remove if I wanted and I saw all that HP bloatware was in the list, I just went ahead and ditched it all.  And, it has made a very notable difference!  Before, even when hardly using my PC it would suddenly get all loud, hot, and sorta slow.  With way less background processes now, it's been as it should be -well, aside from the irritating myriad of issues resulting from a damaged system.

So, in light of that, would the F11 function even work, or should I start the Recovery Manager from my desktop?

3.  Also, I just remembered, my OneNote is *critically important* to me and I made sure all of that is backed up in OneNote online and OneDrive, not to mention my flash drive.  But my MS Office disks are for 2010, which is my favorite, but after looking into it, I followed the prompt for a free OneNote upgrade to 2016, because for that application, I actually prefer the new version.  Do you think the cloud backup is enough to save it?  Would I need to upgrade again, if that's still possible?  And will any of this even be a problem after the restore or am I worrying over nothing?   :blush:

Thank you so much for your patience with this newbie!

Edited by book.weaver, 02 January 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Somebody will need to answer you One Note questions as I have no experience with it. From what I have googled there is OneNote that is free and OneNote 2016. If your license for OneNote is on Microsoft's servers I wouldn't think you would need to upgrade again but I am not sure. 

If the HP recovery manager does not work inside of Windows then try the F11 tap at boot. I would still recommend you back up your activation files with Advanced Token Manager. If you use the HP recovery manager or F11 you will have a factory reset so all the HP bloatware will be also installed and that will have to be addressed after the reset. 

You can use produkey to check any keys it finds including Office.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 January 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#15 book.weaver

book.weaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thank you so much for the links, JohnC_21, those were really helpful!  I think OneNote should be fine, thankfully.  

I backed up the Windows 7 files, but not Office, with Advanced Token Manager onto a disk before I ran SeaTools.  Next time I'll be more careful which HP software I remove!  Thank you for the advice; I wasn't sure which reset method to try first.

I was a little concerned about the possibility of my system overheating during Windows updates after the reset.  Should I just go ahead and try the Factory Reset?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users