Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I restore old Publisher files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AncientChord

AncientChord

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Help!

One of my hobbies is to create audio CD compilations of music. I've been using the old Microsoft Publisher files for years, and have been using the templates to design my own CD covers. I have a few hundred covers saved and also create new covers from the old templates. Yesterday as I was about to print one of the saved covers and all of a sudden, every publisher file in my CD covers folder changed from publisher to Acrobat pdf files. I don't recall doing anything to make this happen. I tried to open the said cover, and my computer would not do it, saying that there was a problem with the file. Nothing I tried worked to try to restore the files back to publisher, including deleting Acrobat Reader from my computer. Then I thought of using system recovery to see if I could retrieve the files. So I went to recovery in settings and when I clicked on recovery to reset the computer, the part that says go back to an earlier build would not let me click on to the get started button and there was a message that said this option is no longer available because you PC was upgraded more that 10 days ago. What the hell? I've done this in the past with no problem, and fixed other issues to go back to an earlier build before. I suspected a possible virus or malware and ran several ant-virus programs that I have, and the programs couldn't find any detections. Is there any way that anyone knows how to get the old files back? When I open my CD covers folder, every cover file is still there and looks like a blank file. I don't want to start from scratch again with a new downloaded CD template because many times I will want to print a saved CD cover to make for friends, etc.. Any ideas to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!           

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

hello

it sounds like you need to restore what program that opens publisher files
there are 2 methods for this. take a look at both and see what you think is the easiest way to do it

method 1:

find one publisher file in the file explorer.
right click the file

choose open with in the dropdown menu that pops up

see if you find publisher in the list of possible programs.
if so then select it. make sure the always open with checkbox is ticked or else it will be back to adobe the next time you try

if it isnt in the list you will have to browse the harddrive to find it

a typical location for publisher would be:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\mspub.exe
do note that i have office 2016 installed. it will be different for older versions

method 2:
open controlpanel, choose programs, choose define standard programs
browse the list until you find publisher
click on it

then a new box opens on the right hand side.
there you can click on define this program as standard

my apologies if the names are not 100% correct. i use a windows version with different localization than english

hth!

tfn

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

"...every publisher file in my CD covers folder changed from publisher to Acrobat pdf files..."

In another thread, dc3 gave me a great Google URL for eml to html conversion, long story short, I found CoolUtils' Gold Bundle.  Amongst that gold bundle are numerous conversion utilities!  I do not know anything about Microsoft Publisher, what the data file constructs are, however, CoolUtils' web site includes a page that lists each and every free [online] conversion utility and every pay-for EXE-install conversion utility.  www.coolutils.com/products is where you might want to start.  While I have never converted anything into or out of a PDF format, I have converted several EMLs to HTMLs [and the results were very good!] -- so apparently CoolUtils delivers what it promises.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 January 2017 - 05:05 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users