Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On the verge of an irretrievable crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 gros21

gros21

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

Hello,

This is a computer I got from a friend in a trade.  As soon as I tried to run it, it operated at a snails pace and totally not useable.  I started using Revo uninstaller and spybot to try to fix problems.  I think shockwave and Mozilla or Chrome were having a conflict (maybe).  I was doing OK until I tried to run Revo in safemode and I hit the "Hunter Mode" icon.  Things went down hill from there.  Most notably, the desk top couldn't load some icons. So I tried a system restore to the most recent restore point, and things got really weird.  The screen told me that I should try to start in "Windows Repair" mode so I did but the computer just thought and thought.  I unplugged it, and restarted. I got the same message about startup repair, but tried a normal start.  I couldn't believe it but it started.  Even the desktop was in a bit better shape (some of the missing icons (Revo in particular), were there.  I am afraid to turn this computer off now. I don't know where to go from here so I have turned to you folks.  This computer is running Windows 7 if that matters.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

I am trying to include the two required files.  Performance Monitor seems to be hung at the "Generating Report."

Attached Files

Edited by gros21, 31 December 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

Heat levels ok ?

Hdd benchmark testing ok ?

How old the install ?

#4 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm afraid I do not know how to check heat levels or how to do Hdd benchmarking.  Hdd benchmark ? (not sure what that is)

Windows 7 came installed on the computer.  The Microsoft label is on the case.  I think the computer was purchased some time in 2013 

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

K do this plz then will take it from thier.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#6 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pbFChsJ2yqiUVEfR7VuQqpz

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

K so from what i can tell you have a super slow cpu for win7 and only 2 gigs ram as well as a very low end video card, if your a gamer i have a fix for you that will help in a big way.

Do you like windowsXP ? if i were you id setup that computer with winxp and bail on win7, this would limit you to 4 gigs ram and only directx9 games but it would run fast, winXP only needs like a gig of ram to be happy, 2 gigs is pro for that os and older games.

If you have some cash i would upgrade the video card / cpu / heat sink / ram my self, you could probably get the stuff used for cheap but it still cost you some.

If you don't want to change anything on a hardware level then i would say wipe and install winXP on that box, or if your not a gamer then Linux mint would do the trick as well on that hardware setup.

https://linuxmint.com/

Ps backup data before a wipe somewhere if theirs anything worth keeping, if their isn't then your job is that more faster.

Pros of Linux mint: its like winxp or win7 GUI wise and all most no virus for that Os, up to date and hard to hack.

Down side: doesn't really play games, limited software anytime you want to go hardcore on the Os its command line and scripts.

Pros of winXP: makes for a good retro gaming system and its windows so theirs piles of stuff out their for it software/game wise.

Down side: old Os, you have to be pro hacker in winxp to keep it safe, it doesn't get official updates anymore but their is a way to hack around that topic, if you just install it and forget watch your self as it can turn in to a virus bomb.

Ps for the record im still in winXP if you need bro tips on how to setup winXP pro stile.

Edited by shadow_647, 01 January 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#8 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Ok, so the reason I made this trade is that my laptop,which I traded away was running Windows Vista.  I prefer the Google Chrome browser and I was getting the message that Vista was no longer supported. It seemed to me that the browser performance was degrading.  I would prefer to keep Win 7 and delete anything and everything that will help speed it up.  I am not a gamer.  The only game I might try to run is Monopoly from big fish.  I also need itunes to work since I will be syncing my phone and ipad to this computer.  Is it possible to get this computer to run at a reasonable speed under those conditions?

I need the browser working well as I will be taking an online course in the near future.

Would more memory help?  I have added memory in the past to other computers and I could probably pull it off again if I can figure out how to get the case open!

And what about that startup issue I was having?  I'm afraid to turn this thing off!!

The Linux Mint thing sounds plausible.  Will iTunes work OK with it?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by gros21, 01 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

Well ram wise for win7 if your not a gamer you really want 4 gigs ram or more,seeing as your not a gamer though you should be ok with 4gigs.

Video card a real dog but if your not a gamer i guess it can stay, don't know why a card that slow has 256megs video ram, makes no sense but whatever.

TDP on your cpu is low meaning heat output and on a system on the cheap like that i would guess it has a stock heat sink, my self i would upgrade the cpu and maybe the heat sink depending how hot the better cpu runs.

All the parts you need too you can get used for cheap and if the TDP on a better cpu is not to high you might be able to stay with a stock heat sink as well.

As for the other problems you could do this.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

You've all ready done a restore so more then that i don't know besides a full wipe and rebuild of the Os

Ps Firefox uses less ram then chrome and even fox uses on my box at times like 500~750megs ram as well do you have like $60 to burn on hardware upgrades ?

Edited by shadow_647, 01 January 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#10 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Ok Shadow.  Thank you for your time and help.  I will weigh my options and go from there.  Thanks once again.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

All good , happy new year :thumbup2:

Sucks you don't know me in the real world, for $135 i would spend 1/3 of it on hardware and do all the work for you and when done you wouldn't even recognize your pc anymore with a 100% fresh install of win7 as well 20min on foot from my house i know a computer parts garbage store, could get everything i need for your pc for cheap in one shot.

Edited by shadow_647, 01 January 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#12 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

I agree.  Definitely a shame.  But it looks like we are in very different time zones.   :-(

#13 gros21

gros21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

By the way.  I have a pretty decent video card in my old (10 + years but the video card was upgraded) computer.  Only thing is, I don't have the disc with the drivers.  I know they are on the computer, but I don't know how to transfer them.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

Im a computer/video game junky that's works from home fixing computer on the slide, bin at it for years, im looking at a screen like 60 hours a week and im up at all times of day, i tend to sleep in spurts, sometimes im up at 2am like im at at times at 2pm.

In any case just so you know that when it comes to freelance computer repair people or pc repair shops in general if that's what you end up going for to do the necessary repairs or upgrades if that kind of thing is of over your head that dealing with people like that is like dealing with used car dealers, you can get ripped off fast, best beat is to make a friend that knows computers and pass him a little something for his time or a free case of beer.

That and last i watched a YouTube doc on the topic of come to your home / pc repair people from big players "A" most were twits with no skills, don't know were they got their training and "B" tried to rip people off or just cost a lot.

That and the computer you have isn't worth much, theirs not much quality in their parts wise and my self i can get better full systems in the city were i live for like $60+tax that come with a clean win7 install, well ok all most the same stats as your system, better cpu weaker video same ram less hdd space.

Like my self if all you wanted was more ram and a faster cpu + windows rebuild i know one place in the city were i live and the place pumps out win7 rebuilds for like $40 a pop, i all most can't do it for that price its just to cheap.

Sucks you don't like winXP, that would fix most of your problems and make the system fly.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

By the way.  I have a pretty decent video card in my old (10 + years but the video card was upgraded) computer.  Only thing is, I don't have the disc with the drivers.  I know they are on the computer, but I don't know how to transfer them.

Their you go,sadly they use to have a better collection of drivers for video cards,sent em a email but they never sent me one back.

I wanted to know what happen to their driver data base, they use to have everything you can think of driver wise for video hardware.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocard-drivers.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users