Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i change my IP address ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

Ive already gotten a ton of captchas on specific sites that only work on my current IP and i want to know how to change it so i wont have to use a VPN which takes forever to load pages.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

It depends on who your ISP is and if they use DHCP and how they use it. If it's a cable broadband ISP, then usually you can change the MAC address of the router (WAN interface) and then reboot the modem, wait until its back to normal, then reboot the router. The modem will see the router as a new device (since different MAC) and assign it a new public IP. For more specific instructions, please advise. 

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

It depends on who your ISP is and if they use DHCP and how they use it. If it's a cable broadband ISP, then usually you can change the MAC address of the router (WAN interface) and then reboot the modem, wait until its back to normal, then reboot the router. The modem will see the router as a new device (since different MAC) and assign it a new public IP. For more specific instructions, please advise. 

theres no interface its just the router and cable internet and i have no idea what you are talking about either

Twitter

Website

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

A interface is just a word meaning the connection type. On the back of your router, there are 4 Local Area Network(LAN) connections and 1 Wide Area Network(WAN) connection. The WAN port has a MAC address associated with it. A MAC address is a unique ID that every networking device has assigned to it. Think of it like it's online fingerprint. The MAC address is assigned a IP through a process called DHCP. If you want to change your IP, you have to change the MAC address on the router that the modem is seeing.  How you change the MAC address on a router is different for each router. What model router and modem do you have?

Edited by Trikein, 31 December 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#5 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

A interface is just a word meaning the connection type. On the back of your router, there are 4 Local Area Network(LAN) connections and 1 Wide Area Network(WAN) connection. The WAN port has a MAC address associated with it. A MAC address is a unique ID that every networking device has assigned to it. Think of it like it's online fingerprint. The MAC address is assigned a IP through a process called DHCP. If you want to change your IP, you have to change the MAC address on the router that the modem is seeing.  How you change the MAC address on a router is different for each router. What model router and modem do you have?

i have no idea what you said and i also have no idea what model i have

Twitter

Website

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

Then I don't know how I can help. No offense, but it sounds like you are trying to do something outside the scope of your ability. If finding your routers model number is beyond your ability, then so is changing your IP. I can't give you a easy answer. Either you have to learn how to do what you are trying to do or give up and live with how it works now.

Edited by Trikein, 31 December 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#7 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

so i wont have to use a VPN which takes forever to load pages.

What made you say VPNs take forever to load? Have you ever had a premium version of any VPN? I bet no, so here's what you can do; Get yourself a premium account of a well known VPN (I'm using PureVPN without any speed issues), and then get a dedicated IP from the same. They'll charge you less than a dollar for it. And you're good to go. 

#8 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

so i wont have to use a VPN which takes forever to load pages.

What made you say VPNs take forever to load? Have you ever had a premium version of any VPN? I bet no, so here's what you can do; Get yourself a premium account of a well known VPN (I'm using PureVPN without any speed issues), and then get a dedicated IP from the same. They'll charge you less than a dollar for it. And you're good to go. 

i have no credit card or money

Twitter

Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users