Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I get massive lag spikes while playing video games.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pharyan

Pharyan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:31 AM

Hi! So I initially discovered this whenever I had got on Garry's Mod for the first time in a while. Unfortunately, I found my return rather unpleasant......... anytime I tried to play I would get unbearable lag spikes making the game unplayable. After getting annoyed I explored into other games, but found no luck, I was spiking in every game, but still I could stream HD and 1080p videos with no problem. 

I had to deal with that in every single game I played! Please help as this is keeping me from enjoying many of the news games I bought on Steam in light of the winter sale.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

Funny bin seeing this topic loads of late and i don't know why people are saying "lag" when their talking about fps "lag" has to do with network problemes imho.

Let me take a wild guess win10 right ?

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

Is that your video you uploaded I assume? If so, it does look like ping(latency) spikes up to 800+. Can you explain the context of how the video was made? Was it online? If so, can you play offline games without any issues? What server are you playing on? Can you post a tracert to that server? 

Also, have you asked if anyone else connected to that same server is also having latency?

#4 Pharyan

Pharyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Funny bin seeing this topic loads of late and i don't know why people are saying "lag" when their talking about fps "lag" has to do with network problemes imho.

It's not lag........... as you can clearly see at the bottom of my screen the fps is fine, and my ping receives massive lag spikes. Yes, I use Windows 10.

Is that your video you uploaded I assume? If so, it does look like ping(latency) spikes up to 800+. Can you explain the context of how the video was made? Was it online? If so, can you play offline games without any issues? What server are you playing on? Can you post a tracert to that server? 

Also, have you asked if anyone else connected to that same server is also having latency?

Yes, I uploaded the video. I made the video whenever I was trying to get help on the steam forums, it's only a demonstration of what my problem is. I went on to a online server called "TitsRP", but that doesn't really matter as I get that same experience on every ONLINE game I play, offline games give me no trouble. 

Edited by Pharyan, 31 December 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#5 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

Would probably be a good idea to post your pc specs IE your cpu, gpu, ram, os type ect.

Maybe use Speccy  to take a snapshot so people can see whats what.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

See if spybot anti beacon helps. I had a similar problem and ran this only disabling whats on the first screen and it improved my problem similar to yours on windows 10. 

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Check to see what other programs are running  that are connecting to the net as they may also be a cause.

Just to be precautionary I'd always run a scan for malware as well just to rule any malicious programs that may be causing the issue.

Edited by HolyCowz, 31 December 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#6 Pharyan

Pharyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

https://gyazo.com/5b5351010422cc3651549639450b5fe6

Those are my specs, but I'm almost certain this isn't a hardware issue.

See if spybot anti beacon helps. I had a similar problem and ran this only disabling whats on the first screen and it improved my problem similar to yours on windows 10. 

Do you think you could further elaborate on what this is and how to use it? If it can help I surely want to at least try it, but I don't know how to "activate" it so to speak.

#7 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

You just download the stand alone version no need to install then and click immunize and it will block Microsoft from collecting info about what you are doing in rough ie stops a lot of unwanted connections and seems to have stopped my lag problem before I used this I was getting pretty bad lag so I can only assume all the open connections caused it as the problem has now gone. If it doesn't work simply push undo and it will revert everything to as it was.

If you want to check the file and page scan it with Virus total

https://www.virustotal.com/

This is how to do a speccy snapshot it should give a lot more detail than that on connections to

https://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/saving-speccy-snapshots

Edited by HolyCowz, 31 December 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

" I went on to a online server called "TitsRP", but that doesn't really matter as I get that same experience on every ONLINE game I play,"

Could you post a tracert to one of the servers you are having problems with? Also, if the server accepts pings, try pining the server as you play and see if the lag spikes in game match any latency in the ping. 

Also, have you tried any speed/latency tests? See links for sites. Any problems there?

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

Could all so do a ping test to google and post results too.

To do this go to start/run~search

Type in cmd.exe

Next type in ping 8.8.8.8 -T

Let it run for like 3 min, press ctrl + c keys to stop it, check for ping spikes.

And this is odd, win10 + ping spikes problem / can't game, seen this like what 5 times on this forum in a month or something and some of the people that had the problem had other computers and it wasn't the network that was at fault it was the win10 system that had the problem, shame were not talking about win98 cus in win98 you can rebuild everything in windows that has to do with the network with out problems, no idea how to do that in win10.

#10 Pharyan

Pharyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

You just download the stand alone version no need to install then and click immunize and it will block Microsoft from collecting info about what you are doing in rough ie stops a lot of unwanted connections and seems to have stopped my lag problem before I used this I was getting pretty bad lag so I can only assume all the open connections caused it as the problem has now gone. If it doesn't work simply push undo and it will revert everything to as it was.

If you want to check the file and page scan it with Virus total

https://www.virustotal.com/

This is how to do a speccy snapshot it should give a lot more detail than that on connections to

https://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/saving-speccy-snapshots

That didn't work, thanks though. 

Also, have you tried any speed/latency tests? See links for sites. Any problems there?

Yes, my results on ookla are good.

Could all so do a ping test to google and post results too.

To do this go to start/run~search

Type in cmd.exe

Next type in ping 8.8.8.8 -T

Let it run for like 3 min, press ctrl + c keys to stop it, check for ping spikes.

And this is odd, win10 + ping spikes problem / can't game, seen this like what 5 times on this forum in a month or something and some of the people that had the problem had other computers and it wasn't the network that was at fault it was the win10 system that had the problem, shame were not talking about win98 cus in win98 you can rebuild everything in windows that has to do with the network with out problems, no idea how to do that in win10.

If the problem is Windows 10, does that mean a factory reset would solve my problems?

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Depends what it updates/changes in the Os, maybe it will fix the problem or it bugs out the Os.

My self i don't like doing that kind of thing but your welcome to try it and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users