Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre stutters/framerate drops not shown in FPS counters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

I've noticed this in several games, including TF2 and basically any Bethesda game where the framerate isn't locked by the game itself, vsync is disabled, and I'm running it in windowed mode. I'd usually do this and limit the fps with another program like Rivatuner. I also noticed it in SOMA, when windowed (vsync enabled or not) and perhaps a few other games. The primary factor seems to be a lack of vsync and/or windowed mode. It doesn't happen in Dark Souls III when windowed as far as I can tell.

But for some reason I notice this odd stuttering and the framerate seems to drop a lot, but it's only visible to the naked eye and FPS counters don't pick it up at all.

Is this normal somehow? Because personally I've never seen something like this happen. I've been trying to search around for information on this but I've gotten absolutely nothing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit

Edited by VicVegas, 31 December 2016 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A195

A195

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

Maybe its the monitor? or possibly the little play back feature of nvidia shadow play. Also if your using 10 it might be the xbox application, by default it has game dvr on, have to sign in on it just to disable it.

Could always try setting the game at a high priority when you have it in window mode, might fix it.

Edited by A195, 03 January 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I think I've got it figured out that I was just doing things I shouldn't be doing and that I'm really super dense.

Edited by VicVegas, 04 January 2017 - 01:16 AM.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

If the problem returns try this:

Download the latest Nvidia Drivers or AMD Drivers

Then, download this: Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers, unlike official uninstallers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the AMD driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users