Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 1TB HDD stuck offline.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

Got a new 1tb hdd to upgrade my old one. I cannot do anything with it, as it says it is in offline mode. When i went to turn it to online mode, it says that it is already online,

Untitled.png

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

p.s. it is disk 0

ooh, i have a signature

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

Is this a data disk?  Disk 0 is always assigned as the boot disk as far as I know.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/05/21/why-you-should-always-install-windows-7-on-disk-zero/

The disk shows as dynamic in your image. This should be basic for a standard data drive.

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

a little bit of information, it is in the place of disk 0 as that is where the optical drive was located, which i have temporarily disconnected to clone drive 1 for upgrade. It is not the boot drive, it is empty. It should have 1tb of freespace, but there is nothing. It says Online, but upon trying to do anything there is an error message saying it is online.

It is sata, and i am pretty sure that the disk number is irrelevant, as that is just sata position of motherboard. It makes some stuff easier, but it should still work my way.

ooh, i have a signature

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification and you are correct about it not making a difference in regards to disk number. What software was used to clone the HDD and do you have an external drive whose free space is more than the data on the drive you are cloning?

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have made an attempt to clone using Clonezilla. After attempting to clone it said that the 1tb was smaller than the 250gb. Afterwards i got on windows to check it to find out that it was "offline." I turned it online but upon trying to do anything i get an error that says the disk is offline. I also do have an external hdd that is 1tb, but i do not have a usb a to usb c cord, as i have broke the previous one.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

here are some more pictures:

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

p.s. I moved the hard drive to disk 1 sata slot

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 31 December 2016 - 09:36 AM.

ooh, i have a signature

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

From your image you are trying to clone disk 2 to disk 1, correct? Clonezilla may have had a problem because of a Dynamic Disk. Dynamic disks are used when you want to span partitions across multiple disks. I am not sure this is what you intended when you create Dynamic disk 2.

Another way to approach this is to use Partition Wizard to copy and paste the partitions from one disk to another. Once the copy operation is complete. Shutdown the computer and then disconnect disk 2. Boot the computer. You will have to expand your partitions using Partition Wizard as the copy does not automatically expand the partitions to the new larger disk.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/dynamicdisk/dynamic-volume-copy.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

Note: you may need to use Partition Wizard to delete all partitions on disk 1 or zero wipe it then create a dynamic disk before doing the copy operation if the copy operation errors out.

I found some additional help here. See the last post concerning Partition Wizard. I am not sure if you first need to assign a drive letter in your case. I have not worked with Dynamic Disks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#9 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

What do i do about the no freespace or partitons in Drive 1? (it is there but seems to have nothing in it...)

Also you are correct about me trying to clone 2 to 1.

ooh, i have a signature

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Open Partition Wizard. Click on Disk1. Select Delete all Partitions. Click Apply. Is the disk now unallocated?

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Was thinking the same thing, drive is buggered zero, wipe it and start over.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

#12 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Was thinking the same thing, drive is buggered zero, wipe it and start over.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Many answers given, and i thank you all for em but this is the one i did and it worked. Thanks!

ooh, i have a signature

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the update. Were you successfully able to clone to the new drive. You still used clonezilla?

#14 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

I was and no. I have decided to use partition wizard, as clonezilla had already given me this problem.

ooh, i have a signature

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

So using Partition Wizard was a matter of copying and pasting the individual partitions or does it allow you to copy the full disk in one step?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users