Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Drivers Reinstalling Themselves

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sprank

sprank

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

I have an ASUS UX303UB laptop that I got for Christmas. The audio sounded awful (zero bass) when I first got it so I consulted the Internet and uninstalled the "Contextant SmartAudio HD" items in the device manager (maybe that wasn't a great idea) expecting to have to reinstall new ones but when I restarted the laptop It already had new drivers called "High Definition Audio Device". I looked this up and apparently it was normal and the audio sounded far better than before so I kept it and watched a few hours of shows. There was occasional stuttering/loud buzzing noises which scared me because my parents laptop had that and now it crashes constantly. I left for something and when I came back everything was frozen except for the cursor and the audio still played but Ctrl Alt Del didn't work so I shut it down and when I restarted it had reinstalled the Contextant drivers with the same abysmal sound. I have undergone this process several times since. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sprank

sprank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

bump

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Just to be clear, it depends on what "it" is installing these drivers.  It could be Windows or it could be a control program related to your audio setup (the former is more likely, but).   On my computer Windows has never installed any video driver update because AMD uses its own control program to check the status of the drivers and updates them as it sees fit.

If it's Windows that's doing it, and you can check your Windows Update history to see if it is, then have a look at the thread from this very forum that started on January 26th entitled, windows updating to incorrect driver

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users