Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD burner stopped working Code 39 error

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ael1970

ael1970

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

About 2 weeks ago, the DVD burner on my uncle’s Windows 7 64-bit computer stopped working and had this error:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

He does not recall having any error messages or other problems around that time. We thought the drive was bad, so we bought a new one (ASUS DRW-24B1ST) and installed it, but still have the same error. I called ASUS, and they sent me this link https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-code-39-errors-2623185.

I’ve reinstalled the driver software. When I try to update the driver software, it says “The best driver software for your device is already installed. The solution about the registry keys says you MUST have UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the registry for this solution to work. I only have LowerFilters. Obviously, replacing the hardware did not solve the problem.

I don’t know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Did you delete the LowerFilters key and reboot?

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

Can't you just go to device manager and uninstall the hole S-ATA driver ? that should reset the system, i know i can in winxp or older versions of windows.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

You can also try a system restore from one of the earlier restore dates.

I suspect your DVD drive failed; try the above suggestions, but if nothing works, try swapping it with another. You can buy them very cheap from Newegg.com.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

OP: We thought the drive was bad, so we bought a new one

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

You're right, I missed that.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

No, I didn't delete the LowerFilters key because the link that led me to look for the UpperFilters and LowerFilters said if you don't see either of them, this solution isn't for you. I interpreted that to mean that I should see BOTH in order to try the solution. Thanks

Edited by ael1970, 31 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#8 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

You can also try a system restore from one of the earlier restore dates.

I suspect your DVD drive failed; try the above suggestions, but if nothing works, try swapping it with another. You can buy them very cheap from Newegg.com.

I actually did buy the new drive at newegg.com after we first encountered the problem with the old drive. Sorry, if that was unclear.

#9 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

Can't you just go to device manager and uninstall the hole S-ATA driver ? that should reset the system, i know i can in winxp or older versions of windows.

If I right click the DVD drive in Device Manager, it has the Uninstall option. If I do that, is it safe to assume it will automatically reinstall with a reboot? Thanks

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

Douse in winXP, but i don't know other versions of windows like i know winXP, i would think it would.

Btw you dont have starforce installed on that pc do you or something like it ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce

#11 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Douse in winXP, but i don't know other versions of windows like i know winXP, i would think it would.

Btw you dont have starforce installed on that pc do you or something like it ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce

He doesn't do any gaming, so I doubt it. I'll double check when I go back to his house. As far as uninstalling the drive, I kind of thought that physically removing the old drive and installing the new drive for the first time accomplished the same thing, but I'll try that. Thanks

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:32 AM

No, I didn't delete the LowerFilters key because the link that led me to look for the UpperFilters and LowerFilters said if you don't see either of them, this solution isn't for you. I interpreted that to mean that I should see BOTH in order to try the solution. Thanks

Note: If you don't see either registry values listed, this solution isn't for you. Double check that you're looking at the correct device class but if you're sure you are, you'll have to try a different solution from my How to Fix Device Manager Error Codes guide.

Note: If you only see one or the other value, that's fine. Just complete Step 8 or Step 9 below.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-delete-the-upperfilters-and-lowerfilters-registry-values-2619222

#13 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that it was okay to just have one of upper/lower. Do you know if it (or they) will be recreated when I reinstall the software driver? In looking around at other places yesterday, I found a post where someone had deleted those and could not get them back, which, of course, caused the drive to still not to work at all. Thanks

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thats why you backup your reg befor making changes in case things don't work out that way if theirs a problem you just restore the old reg.

#15 ael1970

ael1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Deleting the LowerFilters worked. Thanks for everyone's help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users