Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where and What Comp 4 My Grandmother $200-$300

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hi, My grandmothers computer of like 15 years or even more just got messed up for good. We could not get the internet to work on her windows xp because we could not get all the updates I think it was downloaded.

She just needs a computer to get on the internet to shop, check her emails, and browse sometimes. And play her freecell game. So it doesn't need to be anything fancy. She would like Windows 7 or 10 and for it to be a Desktop Computer. With HDMI slot.

She is looking to spend $200-$300. Can you get a brand new computer with keyboard and monitor for that? If need to she could get a refurbished computer.

Any advice and where to buy etc would be really appreciated.

Edited by gibsgoinpro, 30 December 2016 - 05:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

If it's just for casual use you can stop by wal-mart or a similar store, the laptops are roughly $150-$500 and the towers are about $86-$300

and 300 is even too much for a casual use machine. (depending on hardware obviously)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:53 AM

there are lots of windows 7 dell pcs for sale on the refurb circuit at wal-mart....the hdmi port is kind of a stretch with those old dells though, most of those are socket 775 motherboards with core 2 duo cpus. you might need a 5450 video card to slip in it also. and with a 5450, you will get the hdmi for sure, plus dual monitor capabilitiy.....

if you want the hdmi port available off the motherboard without a video card, then we are looking at an i3 cpu, which is twice as potent and prolly twice as expensive.  although after i looked at ithe photo of the back of one of those dell PCs, the motherboard does have a display port, which can be adapted to HDMI output, prolly with a passive (i.e. inexpensive) adapter....hmmm

this is an example PC for you to ponder.   a core 2 duo cpu is sufficient for most home users, there are plenty more to choose the specs from by the looks of it

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbished-760-Mini-Tower-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Processor-4GB-Memory-750GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not-Inclu/30414414

around 140$

and here is the 6450, newer than the 5450, and fanless....less parts to break...and small form factor capable..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16904529

the 6450 above would be my first choice . there are others available, but that 6540 offers the most

around $40

anyway, you can go to the electronics counter to order and lay down the bucks or credit card, and pick it up in the photo lab about a week later if you don't want it delivered to your home, thats the way i do it..they call it  "site-to-store"

or you can go through the purchase right on the site  if it is more of a convenience.

Edited by synergy513, 31 December 2016 - 01:33 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

Thank you guys very much for taking the time to write with the information. I agree and think for my grandmother just doing casual browsing that buying a brand new computer isn't the smartest thing to do and plus I have not seen any brand new computer bundles with tower, keyboard, and monitor for like $200-$300. Also, she is not very knowledgeable about what to click and what not to click.

I will show my grandma those refurbished ones from walmart. Will those refurbished Dell's be able to hook up to her old HP Monitor and keyboard???

Her computer is a HP Pavilion:

553w Tower

f50 Monitor

Later on, what software programs should I install on her new computer to help her have computer/virus protection etc? To help her computer be good for a long time. There are so many things to computers and so many programs it's mind boggling to try and keep up with. Several years ago I got onto this site and they recommended the free (if i'm not mistaken) SUPERAntispyware and

Malware Bytes. Are there other programs besides spy/malware/virus that everyone should have? My computer has odd things happening to it. I've had it since like 08 and I have wondered if its like a storage/memory thing from just many years of going to different websites and watching videos.

Edited by gibsgoinpro, 02 January 2017 - 03:28 AM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:22 AM

Good post Synergy, My self though i can get refurb computers like that for $60 with about the same hardware stats and win7 installed in the city were i live, with $300 i can get everything you need with out trying to hard.

As for AV ? i like Avira free my self, and id put firefox in their too, internet explorer not a good way to surf the net more then that you should be good, just lock down the firewall some in win7.

#6 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

why is internet explorer not good to serf net? Just since yesterday, when I use internet explorer it says a problem has occurred and it tries to reload and then says the same thing and wont even let me use it. What's going on with that? For the longest time certain websites say you need to download the newest internet explorer but everytime I try it says I have the newest version. Is it because I have Windows Vista that it wont let me get the newest? Again Ive wondered if my computer is weak on memory or storage and it's starting to mess up.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Is it because I have Windows Vista that it wont let me get the newest?

yes Microsoft is like that, imho Firefox is the hardest to hack and gives the best protection if its kept up to date with some good plugins like no-script.

As for the memory topic vista is a memory pig last i checked.

To check memory use just do a ctrl+alt+del keys all at the same time to look at your ram use or post a screen shot of it if you dont know what the numbers mean.

As for the computer topic you should be good with $300 for a basic system if you shop around, just for a basic internet surfer computer you don't need much, you might be able to check cregslist or something like too and get a full system with a screen and all for cheap too.

Edited by shadow_647, 02 January 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hello,   

ok, the reasons are  plentiful why a refurb dell is a good buy for a home user to do simple media/communication related stuff. the  best one is the recovery partition, if  the PC Operating system  (Windows 7) gets corrupted, a recovery is the way to go for most folks...

Over time, a PC system does get corrupted and the innocent user is left with the threatening decision to make, "keep this PC or get a new one?..and the point is that with a decent cpu, keeping an old one is the option most appealing. even though the core 2 duo CPU s like 10 yers old, it is still plenty powerful to run w7 and keep up with  most home users doing simple  tasks.

Now. regarding your browser (Internet explorer. firefox etc) it has long been common knowledge to those in the Malware know that the browser is where some of the malicious code gets in by dragnet.. Internet Explorer is the biggest market share, therefore the biggest target..so most users that care about keeping their PC like a fortress will explore (pun intended) alternative browsers that are just as good if not better than internet explorer. there is a new generation of browser called Pale Moon that is good on Windows 7 and is much like Firefox. ..then there are add-ons like no-script and ad-blocker plus that are good to have, but take a while to get configured so that they help more than damage the flow of the net browsing.

regarding antivirus. there are many, and many opinions, about which is best., we have a Malware section here at BC that is fully aware of the needs of the casual home user if you wish to start a topic there. also you can browse the download section here and become oriented to which programs would best suit your needs. you only need to have one antivirus in action at once, and the built-in w7 firewall is plenty sufficient.

in terms of compatibility with the stuiff you need to hook your PC up to like monitors and such, i can be fairly certain a dell will have the provisions.the hdmi is the only catch i became aware of, you might need the video card for that. but i did see the display port on the back IO panel, so kind of difficult to determine that one.  but anyway, the video card is kind of like a co-processor, it takes the duties of the display and frees a substantial portion of the CPU and chipset to be more efficient so that it doesn't have to process the display, kind of the best way to put it

Edited by synergy513, 02 January 2017 - 05:11 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

it takes the duties of the display and frees a substantial portion of the CPU and chipset to be more efficient so that it doesn't have to process the display, kind of the best way to put it

Agreed, its why i all way recommend a add-on video card even if it is slow/old even for a basic family work computer, on-board video acts like a vampire on main system memory bandwidth and chokes over all system performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users