Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You've been signed in with a temporary profile...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

I have a friend's Toshiba laptop that will not sign into her account. After the temp profile it says in the pop-up window that you can't access your files and files created will be deleted when you sign out.

Also, computer will not access internet without cat5 cable plugged in. Cannot find any other connections. I did download 17 updates and they installed ok but every time I reboot the computer it starts out with " Getting Windows ready" ...Then takes 5 or more minutes to boot up. Now after several reboots and updating it starts up in just under 5 minutes and shows blue screen with the time and date in lower left along with the internet access icon with a red x and the battery icon.

Click on the page and her log-in shows up. Enter her password and I get "Preparing Windows". After a couple minutes it shows me the pop-up about the temp profile.

I ran Malwarebytes, and JRT. Still doing this. Tried a command prompt with sfc/scannow and it ran into "error 87".

I'm running out of ideas to try on this thing... Any hints?

Thank you

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

Trouble shooting internet connections tells me Windows wireless service is not running on this computer. A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken. This laptop has always worked on Wifi. Now there is no connection...

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

I have fixed this problem, partially, by backing up the user files, deleting the user account and then creating a new user account and replacing the backed up files. Now I can log in without any problems. But the wireless connection is still not working. There isn't even a wireless option in the connection list.

The only icon in taskbar is for the wired connection. Drivers have been updated, uninstalled and reinstalled from Toshiba Canada. Still no wireless connection option.

If I unplug my Cat5 cable I am without internet.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If so right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line of each device. You should have a yellow exclamation mark next to a network device which would be your wifi adapter.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi:

I have a friend's Toshiba laptop that will not sign into her account. After the temp profile it says in the pop-up window that you can't access your files and files created will be deleted when you sign out.

I ran Malwarebytes, and JRT. Still doing this. Tried a command prompt with sfc/scannow and it ran into "error 87".

(Emphasis mine)

What version of Malwarebytes?

If it is version 3.0, there is a known and as yet unresolved issue for some users.

See here:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635053/temporary-profile-windows-7/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192282-profile-corruption/

and

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192707-305-keeps-resetting/#comment-1083151

and

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-cannot-upload-your-profile/39ed5958-e4cc-457d-8112-5855c2e9d7cb

If this does apply to your situation, you may want to revert back to version 2.2.1.1043.
If this does not apply to or resolve your situation, please feel free to disregard.

Cheers,
MM

#6 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If so right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line of each device. You should have a yellow exclamation mark next to a network device which would be your wifi adapter.

Hi JohnC. Everything in the device manager is ok. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the wired and wireless adapters. Then I ran the update driver option and it says everything is good.

I also downloaded an online owner's manual for the computer thinking there was a switch somewhere to manually turn the Wifi on and off. No switch but there is a light in the front edge panel for the WIFI on. It is amber, the color it should be when working ok.

#7 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

MoxieMomma, Malwarebytes was not running on this computer when the problem started. The one I used was one I had on a thumb drive. Version ​2.2.1.1043.

This log in problem seems to be fixed. I can now log in but still have no WIFI. Have to use cat5 cable plugged in.

There is a small Logitech dongle plugged in to one of the USB ports. I assume it is for a wireless mouse or keyboard. New Years day and I don't have contact with the owner. Now I'm wondering is this a remote WIFI connector? I have a D-Link router and maybe if this is a WIFI connector it isn't recognizing my router?? Is this a possibility?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

I don't know if this pertains to your model but some toshiba's have a Fn + F8 key press that needs to be pressed more than once to activate Wifi. The key combo also enables Bluetooth and WAN so to switch between modes press the Fn + F8 button until wifi works.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?58748-Turn-on-wireless-capability-Satellite-A660-18N

#9 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

I don't know if this pertains to your model but some toshiba's have a Fn + F8 key press that needs to be pressed more than once to activate Wifi. The key combo also enables Bluetooth and WAN so to switch between modes press the Fn + F8 button until wifi works.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?58748-Turn-on-wireless-capability-Satellite-A660-18N

This is a Toshiba Satellite model L70D-A, psknsc-009004. Using the Fn+F8 keys didn't change anything.

Glenn

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

According to the manual Fn + F12 turns Airplane Mode on and off. Have you tried this key combo?

#11 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

According to the manual Fn + F12 turns Airplane Mode on and off. Have you tried this key combo?

Fn+F12 doesn't do anything either. Still only the wired connection available.

Glenn

#12 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Another strange thing about this computer is when I try to run SFC/SCANNOW via command prompt, it will run verification phase up to 77% complete then stops and says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Is there an app that can check the Windows files for errors besides this one?

Thanks

Glenn

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

I am out of ideas on this wifi problem, sorry. I can't understand how Wifi can show as on yet there are not networks available and the Wifi icon is missing.

Do you have a TBS folder at  C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TBS  ?

#14 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

No TBS folder. What would this be used for?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

There was a youtube video showing that double clicking a TBSwireless file in the folder would bring Wifi back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users