Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New and confirmed working parts died after installing in case

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ripmypc

Ripmypc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Probably the weirdest issue you'll see today.

All of my parts (BRAND NEW, EXCEPT FOR GPU) worked perfectly fine, OUTSIDE the case. I've used the PC like that for at least 10 hours, until I attempted to install it inside the case.

All I did was screw in the motherboard and psu, connect all the cables and jump the pins with a screwdriver. No life. Took the motherboard out of the case, and tried again on the motherboard's cardboard package, no life. Took out all parts except for the cpu (yes the cooler is connected) and ram. Or even without ram. I've reseated the 8 and 24pin, the battery, everything (a hundred times). I've tried with all the rest of the parts. I've tried everything. I've asked many people and they all come to the conclusion that it's ''strange''.

One thing I have to note is that the standoffs were pre-installed for ATX, and I've got a micro atx board. The result was that I missed 2 standoffs, but the mobo still didn't touch the case.

What's possibly going wrong? If a part is dead, is it the mobo or the psu? I'm thinking it's the mobo as that's the only part I was actually moving. But how..? What did I do wrong? This is my first build, and it's quite saddening to start this way.

cpu i3-6100 stock cooler

mobo Asrock b150m pro4

ram 8gb corsair vengeance single

psu xfx xt 400 bronze

ssd crucial 240gb

case phanteks p400s

gpu gigabyte gtx 460 (I know)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

The MOBO user manual should give the location for the stand offs.  Also locate those are needed for grounding and should be marked on the board too.  So many user builds suffer from this fault. assembly out side the case is smart but now you need to find the short.  Also look for traces that may be too close to a grounded post and is shorting out there.  I use nylon standoffs in my builds to avoid this problem, grounding only where needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users