Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inaccessible_Boot_Device after System Restore/Software Installation

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 microk

microk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

SORRY FOR THE WORD WALL, BUT YOU NEED CONTEXT

So I did a system restore because of some program problems.  (from 12/28 back to 12/22)

It booted properly and I updated all of my drivers, software, games, and Windows.

Then I installed VirtualBox for some development testing and powered off my PC to enable Virtualization in my BIOS.

I couldn't find that option, so I powered on my PC and it gave me this error "The User Profile Service Failed the Logon".  Remember, I didn't actually change any BIOS options.

So, thinking it was just a boot error, I restarted my PC and it then said "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" on a BSOD.

I then tried resetting BIOS to default, but that didn't change anything.

So here's the situation.  I have tried startup repair and window's default diagnostics.  Both failed.

I've checked for BIOS options that would cause this, there are none.

I have an Ubuntu thumbdrive, and it can read and write to the Windows HDD perfectly.  (I deleted VirtualBox using this, as I thought it may be a software issue.)

I cannot boot into safemode.  It gives me the same BSOD.

When I run chkdsk /f /r /x (or any combination of those) I get "The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.  Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

When I run diskpart, it lists all of my drives and partitions with their correct sizes and names.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Edit:

When I list volumes, it has:

Vol 0 | DVD-ROM

Vol 1 | C | System Rese(t?) | NTFS | 350MB

Vol 2 | D | NTFS | 697 GB

Vol 3 | E | NTFS | 450MB

They're all healthy, I just don't know if C is supposed to say System Reset.  I assume C is the boot partition.. since I boot to it lol.

I feel like either VirtualBox drivers messed me up (apparently this can happen), or the system restore corrupted itself.  Though system restore appeared to be working perfectly.

I do a lot of development and graphics design work.  And I have no backup drive, so I'm kind of screwed if I lose my data.  I know it's still on the HDD so I can just back it up, but I feel like I can somehow repair Windows.

System Specs:

Windows 10

GTX 1050 Ti

16GB DDR4 Ram

Intel i5 6600k Processor

Asus H1010M-e Motherboard

750GB Seagate HDD

Edited by microk, 30 December 2016 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

I didn't know if it's a hardware issue or not, that's why I posted in Windows 10 Support.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.  I googled and troubleshot for 2 days before posting.

#3 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

Apparently I wasn't running chkdsk properly, my bad.

I ran chkdsk /f /r on both c: and d:

No problems found, but at the end they say "Failed to transfer logged messaged to the event log with status ##".

Dunno if that's normal or not.

#4 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

I just ran sfc /scannow, it wasn't able to complete the operation after scanning.

I'm pretty lost atm.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

There are a couple of options. First Startup Repair may take up to three failed attempts before the problem is fixed.

One is to recover your data using the Ubuntu stick to an external drive then reinstall Windows 10. A Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive can be created using the Media Creation Tool

This does not look like a GPT disk. You can confirm by opening diskpart and typing

list disk

There should be no asterisk under the GPT column.

Open a command prompt and type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X  X being your Windows disk

list partition

select partition X   where X is the number associated with your Windows partition

detail partition

Is the partition shown as active? If not then do the above commands but substitute the number for the 350MB partition. I am trying to confirm is either partition is active.

If yes exit out of disk part and open a command prompt. Type the following commands

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuild bcd

Reboot.

If that does not work then open a command prompt and type

bcdboot D:\Windows   D: would be the letter of the Windows partition shown using the diskpart list volume command

#6 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

No asterisk next to GPT.

Partition 2 (the largest one) is not active.

However Partition 1 is, and it's labelled as C:

Trying the bootrec commands now.

When you say 'Windows' partition, do you mean C or D, C is the one that Windows always lists, but D has all of the actual programs.

#7 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

bootrec /rebuildbcd said there were 0 identified windows installations

edit:

which makes no sense when i can literally view the installation and windows files on ubuntu

Edited by microk, 31 December 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

Type this command at the command prompt

bcdboot D:\Windows 

C: is the System Reserved Partition marked Active which is what the computer boots from. The above command copies the req'd boot files from Windows to your System Reserved Partition.

After the command reboot and see if you can get into windows.

#9 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

I ran the command but it didn't work, still inaccessible boot device.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

At the command prompt type 

bootrec /scanos

Does it indicate an OS?

Also see if typing the following commands help

C:

cd boot

The prompt should now be C:\boot

Type the bootrec commands in the previous post.

If you still have the problem then I am out of ideas, sorry. Hopefully somebody else on the Forum has some additional ideas that will work.

#11 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Okay so since I ran bcdboot command I now only get the 'Recovery' screen (giving me options of restarting or boot options), instead of the Troubleshooting screen I saw before. (system restore, command prompt etc.)

Now I have to boot into a Windows 10 disk for command prompt, didn't have to before.

I ran bootrec /scanos, and it found a windows installation but on E: (the third partition with 450MB)..

Then I ran bootrec /rebuildbcd and it found said installation on E: (remember last time I ran this it didn't, but this is from a recovery disk), and when I entered 'Y', it said the requested system device cannot be found.

So I have no idea what's going on.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

When using the boot disk drive letters can get changed.

if you type

bcdboot E:\Windows   do you get the same result?

#13 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

I am out of ideas then, sorry. I had Windows 10 on a computer until I was ready to throw it out the window and went back to 7. Windows 10 messes with the partition structure. That is why to have that additional 450MB partition.

I would advise that if you should need to reinstall Windows 10 backup a complete disk image to an external drive using a program such as Macrium Reflect Free or Aomei Backupper Standard. Using the bootable media each will let you create you can boot and restore the disk image from the external drive and be back up in minutes vs the aggravation of a complete reinstall of the OS and programs including updates. They allow the creation of a base image and also differential/Incremental images to give updated images small.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

There is a BC member who has more experience with the bootrec commands and recovery than me. I can PM him and hopefully he can give some additional ideas.

#15 microk

microk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

I would like to do a "repair" install of windows without actually accessing windows, but everything online said I had to run the installer from within Windows.

So since my hdd is still intact, you think I can still create a disk image and reinstall windows with my apps and documents?

That certainly would be easiest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users