Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi All,

So my son's computer ( A Dell Optiplex 780) will all of a sudden not load to windows.  It's starts up, runs through the Dell logo screen and self tests and then hangs up on the next screen.  I've hit F12 and run the diagnostics and the hardware passed which leads me to think it's a software problem.  I'm not sure where to go with my troubleshooting from here.  The system finds the HDD and tests it so I don't belive that's the issue.

Where should I go next?  The computer is only about 4 months old, but we purchased it refurbished as a cheap birthday gift for my 12 year old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

What is the OS, Windows 7? Windows 10, right?  :oopsign: Tap F8 at boot and select Last Know Good Configuration. If that does not work then see if you can access Safe Mode.

F8 will not work in Windows 10. You can try doing the following and then in Troubleshoot select SafeMode.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

O

What is the OS, Windows 7? Windows 10, right?  :oopsign: Tap F8 at boot and select Last Know Good Configuration. If that does not work then see if you can access Safe Mode.

F8 will not work in Windows 10. You can try doing the following and then in Troubleshoot select SafeMode.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Ok, so I've been busy over the weekend with lots of stuff going on. I finally got a chance to try this but it didn't work.  However I don't think I was getting to the rotating loading circle.  That sounds like when the system starts to load windows, but we never get that far.  It starts and you get the Dell logo and the little progress bar at the bottom while it does it's startup check, then it goes to a black screen with white lettering at the top that reads as follows:

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option Rom, etc etc copyright info bla bla.  It hangs up here and won't go any further.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:27 AM

Have you unplugged any usb drives, printers etc and then tried booting ?

#5 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Have you unplugged any usb drives, printers etc and then tried booting ?

Ya, the only things plugged in are the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I might try making a recovery disc from my other desktop with win 10 and try booting to that and see what happens.  That's about the only thing I can think of to try at this point

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

If the hardware passed and the computer has been activated you can reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. This is the recovery disk you were speaking of, correct? Is there any data that needs to be recovered?

#7 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Most everything that was on the computer can be reinstalled, nothing very important so I may just go that route.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Then I would go ahead and do a clean install. The guide is for Windows 8 but works for 10. You don't need to worry about activation as the hardware ID is on Microsoft's servers.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users