Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a home networking makeover

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hello everyone,

New to this forum but frequent many others.  I'm looking for some advice on bettering my home network.  So first I'll try to give you as much background as I can about my current setup.

Our ISP is Time Warner Cable (roadrunner) and we pay for the 15mbps package.  (would like to upgrade to 20 or 30mbps)

I'm currently using a Router/Modem combo - Arris surfboard SBG6400 with DOCSIS 3.0

We have quite a few devices in our house.  2 Desktop PC's, 3 laptops, 3 cell phones, 4 tablets, a roku, a smart TV, and a PS4 all connected to the network.

One of the Desktops is currently hardwired, everything else is wireless.  I have the ability to hardwire the other desktop with a little bit of work.

We don't run all devices at once obviously but there could be any combination of them on at any time.  I know my current setup isn't cutting the mustard and I think the modem/router is mostly what's choking it out.  Sometimes I can get the full 15mbps on a speed test, and other times it's as low as 1mbps.  I'm also in a neighberhood of 1/4 acre lots so I can pickup 2 or 3 other wifi signals from my house.

I'm looking for some suggestions without breaking the bank that would make it worth my while to upgrade my internet service, as it stands I don't think a faster service will help us.

Thoughts and suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Remember that everyone in the house is sharing that 15mbps package.  What is using the Internet when you are getting the 1mbps?  If you're streaming movies or using Bit Torrent on one or more devices that could be your issue.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

"Sometimes I can get the full 15mbps on a speed test, and other times it's as low as 1mbps"

Is this for wired AND wireless? Also, when the wireless speed gets slow, do you notice is the wireless strength is also low or effected?

In general, I am not a fan of gateways, or modem/router combos like the SBG6400. If you are looking for general advice, I would try the the Motorola SB6141 and the RT-N66U. You can find the SB6141 on sale around 65$ or refurb for around 40$. RT-N66U for around 85$ or refurb at 50$. See here for TWC list of compatible modems. Not only this allow you to upgrade the devices differently, as need be, it also allows you to control what firmware is running on the router. 

#4 Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Ya, I undersstand about sharing the bandwidth, however we seem to have speed issues even if only 1 person is simply browsing the web, checking email, facebook, that sort of thing.  If we turn OFF a number of the wireless devices it sometimes helps.  I'm wondering if it has more to do with crowding.  Also, something we just discovered is when using our wireless baby camera we can't connect to the internet through wifi, wired works fine.  Turn the camera off, and no problems.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users