Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16GB of RAM installed but only 8GB usable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheyCallMeChris

TheyCallMeChris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

I was recently going through my task manager to make sure everything is in good shape and nothing is out of the ordinary (like excessive CPU usage) when I noticed that it was showing I have 8GB of RAM available.

This is odd to me as I made sure that when I rebuilt my computer I got 16GB of RAM, which Windows does confirm as when I check out the "About" tab in the settings menu, it shows that 16GB are installed, but 8 are usable.

It's also showing that my RAM is clocked at 667mhz, I'm not sure if that makes a difference though as I'm pretty sure this ram is meant to run at 1867mhz.

What would be causing my computer to be showing I only have 8GB available when 16GB is installed?

Thanks for your help.

To help those more knowledgeable then myself, my system is:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz (4.2 Turbo)

OS: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Operating System (automatically upgraded from Windows 8.1)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A 78L-M w/ USB3, Link to product as per Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DQO9L1Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport, 16GB Kit (8gb x 2), Link to Product as per Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006YG9EEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

Try swapping memory modules around. If there are two modules; install them in corresponding (color?) slots.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

If the RAM modules are incorrectly populated this may cause this.  Your motherboard has two blue DIMM slots and two black DIMM slots.  You should check the user manual to be sure what slots should be used with a pair of modules.  I would guess that the blue DIMM slots would be the slots you want to use.

Did you make any changes in System Configuration, specifically in the Advanced Boot Option under Maximum Memory?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TheyCallMeChris

TheyCallMeChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

If the RAM modules are incorrectly populated this may cause this.  Your motherboard has two blue DIMM slots and two black DIMM slots.  You should check the user manual to be sure what slots should be used with a pair of modules.  I would guess that the blue DIMM slots would be the slots you want to use.

Did you make any changes in System Configuration, specifically in the Advanced Boot Option under Maximum Memory?

I checked the manual, and it doesn't say which slots should be used other than for overclocking my memory, specifically slot A1 as ASUS calls it shoukld be used.

That being said, I tried switching the memory to the unused modules as Bludgard suggested, and this had the affect of providing the selected memory speed I chose in the BIOS, 1600mhz, when checked in my task manager.

According to my manual ASUS labels the slots, when moving left to right from the CPU socket: A1,A2, B1, B2. I have the memory in Slots A1 and B1 currently.

Do I want to place my memory in the same channel and have the memory all in the A Channel? Or do I want it as is and have 1 stick in the A Channel and 1 stick in the B Channel?

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Most mobos iv seen its one in A channel and one in B or two in A two in B, if you put two in A with nothing in B or two in A one in B you end up with single channel mode, that shouldn't change the problem you have though, seen this topic around some, seems many of late seem to have the missing ram problem, some net research might reveal some clues as to whats going on.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

This is why the DIMM slots are colored.  Just use the blue slots.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users