Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan in Dell Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MAD-King

MAD-King

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

I have an Optiplex 990 with this power supply.

The fan is getting loud and I would like to replace it, but do not know which fan fits.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

Because you ask, don't do it. Opening PSU requires expert and you should not overestimate your skills.

#3 MAD-King

MAD-King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for your concern, but how do you know what skills I have?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Well, if you had skills, you would have already opened that PSU and checked what fan is inside (or at least what size that fan is) and how that fan is powered.

Also if you had skills, you would have told that PSU specs/model instead posting picture.

Remember that loud fan = better cooling and as it's virtually impossible to mount bigger fan inside that PSU, more silent fan = worse cooling that will likely cause overheating problems.

So I really don't recommend that you open that PSU. Better solution is to switch another case that can use regular ATX PSU (assuming PSU and motherboard are standard, of course). Then you have almost endless possibilities for silent PSU's.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

I have removed the fan in a PSU before but before you do, read this. You do it at your own risk and I would also advise against it. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/teen-electrocuted-while-working-on-unplugged-computer/

So I really don't recommend that you open that PSU. Better solution is to switch another case that can use regular ATX PSU (assuming PSU and motherboard are standard, of course). Then you have almost endless possibilities for silent PSU's.

I could not agree more.

Edit: Some additional info on the teen's electrocution. Possibly touched a charged capacitor in the PSU.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50474-teen-electrocuted-while-salvaging-parts-from-a-computer.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#6 MAD-King

MAD-King
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Call it laziness. I did not even wanted to open my computer. Thanks guys. I will figure it out myself.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

Call it laziness. I did not even wanted to open my computer. Thanks guys. I will figure it out myself.

If you had no intentions of opening the case how did you intend on changing the fan?

You have already been warned about the danger of opening the PSU, but I feel strong enough about this to add more information that you may not be aware of.  The large electrolytic capacitors in a PUS hold enough voltage to be dangerous if you discharge these to your body.  You should also be aware that those caps will hold a charge for months.

You should be aware that the PSU installed in this computer is one of Dell's proprietary models.  It does not comply to ATX standards.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users