Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These RAM Manufacturers Ok?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

Is there much variation regarding the manufacturers of DDR4 RAM, or is it pretty commoditized? I was thinking of getting 2x8GB DDR4 for $70 from either of the following. Are they reliable?

-Avexir Core Series

-Team Dark

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

Both are relatively new manufacturers, but have good reviews.

Are you going to add more RAM to what you are already using?  If you are adding more RAM with what is already installed you may want to think about matching the modules that are already installed.  RAM running in dual channel increases the throughput speed making it almost twice as fast.  But in order to run dual channel you need matched pairs of modules.

What motherboard are you using? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Both are relatively new manufacturers, but have good reviews.

Are you going to add more RAM to what you are already using?  If you are adding more RAM with what is already installed you may want to think about matching the modules that are already installed.  RAM running in dual channel increases the throughput speed making it almost twice as fast.  But in order to run dual channel you need matched pairs of modules.

What motherboard are you using? 

This is a new build, so no RAM yet. Dual channel...do you mean 2x8GB vs 1x 16GB?

The MOBO is the ASUS H110M. I found a list of compatible RAM. But, if the specs are the same (voltage, physical size, speed, etc), I was thinking of getting RAM that has 14-14-14-31 speed ratings. Would that be a bit faster than the common 15-15-15-35?

Thanks.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hemmmm 2x speed , not really.

As well duel channel is slower then single when it comes to latency.

And yes match pairs is best though iv mixed it up often over the years and no had problems.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

2x8GB for dule mode and yes lower timing numbers = better if were talking the same speed ram,in genaral the newer the stile of ram and the faster it is speed wise the worse the latency, SDR 133mgz use to have relly tight timings vs something like ddr4.

If you go 1x16GB that would be a good move if you want to get a 2nd 16GB down the road for 32 total.

#6 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

would the 14-14-14-31 be noticeably faster, or negligible?

thanks.

Edited by jimlau, 31 December 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

First of all, there is no sense in running different speed modules, the faster module will always underclock to the slower module's speed.

Yes, smaller modules have tighter timings, this along with the much faster throughput is why dual channel is so popular.  But for the best results in dual channel you will need to use matched modules.  

As far as installing 16GB of RAM, after 8GB of RAM you probably wouldn't notice any truly appreciable difference in performance unless you are doing serious resource applications, like video editing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

First of all, there is no sense in running different speed modules, the faster module will always underclock to the slower module's speed.

Yes, smaller modules have tighter timings, this along with the much faster throughput is why dual channel is so popular.  But for the best results in dual channel you will need to use matched modules.  

As far as installing 16GB of RAM, after 8GB of RAM you probably wouldn't notice any truly appreciable difference in performance unless you are doing serious resource applications, like video editing.

I do video editing (Sony Movie Studio). My older system would be jerky in the preview window. In part I'm sure due to no video card, but still, I want the fastest possible RAM. I'm stuck with the 2133 rate, so anything that can maximize speed is what I'm looking for. Those speed numbers/latency seem the only variables left to play with.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

would the 14-14-14-31 be noticeably faster, or negligible?

14-14-14-31 vs 15-15-15-35 = negligible on same speed and type of ram but it still helps some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronous_dynamic_random-access_memory

https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/FAQ-296

Btw i remember on some old boards i have were the CAS latency of SDR133mgz was like 2, your at 14 or 15 on your ram and all the other numbers are the same, sadly peek output has changed over the years with memory type so has the volts ram uses but the hole ram topic is a bad joke, in a nut shell ram is slow and they could make it fast but then it use piles of watts need a lot of cooling and would cost piles.

As well saying 2133mgz is a lie as that's not the speed of the ram but the speed of the I/O bus, worse i saw so far is some video card trying to say 7000mgz ram, real sped of the ram was probably 300mgz or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users