Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get past boot manager.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gordy09

Gordy09

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

Hello, I can't get past this screen. Everything is unplugged. It did this the other day and I was finally about to get to the repair/restore screen and restored it, but it did it again. I work off this computer so have to have it functioning. Any ideas? Will prob take it to the repair shop once they open but trying to save $100+. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gordy09

Gordy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

finally about to get

*typo * able to *

#3 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hello, I can't get past this screen. Everything is unplugged. It did this the other day and I was finally about to get to the repair/restore screen and restored it, but it did it again. I work off this computer so have to have it functioning. Any ideas? Will prob take it to the repair shop once they open but trying to save $100+. Thank

If you have more than one drive (for example, I have an SSD for fast program load and a 2TB one for data), disconnect the SATA cable from all but C:.

Or try putting the boot drive in another computer. It probably won't successfully boot, but if you see the same message, then the drive is bad. If not, it's something else.

I try not to suggest this,  but you may have to take it to a repair place. But be forewarned: I used to work in a repair shop and those guys will reformat a drive at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Luxi_Terna, 30 December 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

hemmm try and boot off a linux mint dvd and see what happens.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

I try not to suggest this,  but you may have to take it to a repair place. But be forewarned: I used to work in a repair shop and those guys will reformat a drive at the drop of a hat.

Ya i know im a free lance pc repair tech and im fast to purge hdds too and rebuild windows when it looks like windows is trash.

Edited by shadow_647, 30 December 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#5 Gordy09

Gordy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hey y'all. I did get it to finally boot up but I had to run another restore... Could one of the drives or memory be going bad and that's what is causing it? I know some about computers but not the internal components but that's what YouTube is for. Its just annoying to have to keep doing a repair every time. I've only had this computer about 4 years. One of the HP all in ones. Love it, until now.

The repair shop I take it to is very reputable. The family has lived here forever. Small town. So no worries with them. At least I hope...

Thanks.

#6 Gordy09

Gordy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

[quote name="shadow_647" post="4150043" timestamp="1483103590"]hemmm try and boot off a linux mint dvd and see what happens.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

[quote]

Im not sure what that is?

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

Linux is a free to use Os and the mint disto is a Os / GUI that is very close to what windows XP or windows 7 is like so if you know how to use windows its not hard to learn how to use mint,this is why i use it my self and recomend it to others seeing as 80% of the world for home use, uses windows.

As well when you burn Linux mint on to a dvd is live boot meaning the hole Os can run off of a computer with only a DVD drive and no hdd connected, its slow to boot but its useful at times, in this case its useful to see if the computer will work with it in live mode with out problems, if it douse work then i would probably say its a windows problem and not a hardware problem, if it doesn't and you still have problems then i would say its a hardware problem and not windows.

Edited by shadow_647, 30 December 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#8 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

> I've only had this computer about 4 years.

"Only?"

#9 Gordy09

Gordy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

> I've only had this computer about 4 years.

"Only?"

I wouldn't think 4 years is a long time for a good computer. Never had a problem with it besides a virus about a year after I got it, until now. But I am on it 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. Its definitely gotten its use. So yeah, I guess it may be getting to where it starts having issues. I did get a new HP printer for christmas and after I installed that, is when it started acting up.

#10 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

> im fast to purge hdds too and rebuild windows when it looks like windows is trash.

Yeah, but you don't have to kill their data.

I once got one that needed reformatting. They begged me to save their data. It was a Jewish old folks home and they had only one (ancient) computer.

My boss told me "to reformat it. But I showed him Steve Gibson's amazing Spinrite which formats but saves the data. It takes twice as long because it has to read the disk as well as write it. He said, "f**k  it, just reformat it. They have a service contract; we already have their money. Any time we spend is free." 

I used spinrite anyway, saved their data, they said wonderful stuff to me, then I got fired for disobeying the boss and wasting time that I could have used doing another service call. It was only an extr4 a 10 minutes.

I've seen worse, too. One "fix" for a missing DLL that prevented Word from loading was to copy some arbitrary DLL and give it the required name.  They thought it was clever because not only didn't they have to spend time doing a real fis, but when they use whatever feature the DLL was supposed to do, it would crash and they'd come back and pay us more money to fix it again since we did such a good job last time.

I've seen stuff you wouldn't even believe. I wrote an expose article for a magazine, and everything I just described happened AFTER I wrote the article.

Businessmen are horrible, awful people. My degree is CS. Here in The Future there's  a whole lot of "computer" but very little "science" (i.e., integrity).

Edited by Luxi_Terna, 30 December 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#11 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

> I wouldn't think 4 years is a long time for a good computer.

Well, it's avg for an old one. ANd if it works, keep using it. It was your use of the word "only" that surprised me.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

;O) i like this Luix person.

Ya i use SpinRite too and i still have a floppy drive on all my computers, and i do data salvage when i can before a wipe, and i know what you mean about pc shops, if windows is acting up doing it the hard way isn't what happens often its wipe and reinstall land and get payed, often too slop installs.

I used spinrite anyway, saved their data, they said wonderful stuff to me, then I got fired for disobeying the boss and wasting time that I could have used doing another service call. It was only an extr4 a 10 minutes.

Rude :(

Ps: my main computer is like 10 years if not older and im still on a 22" CRT with winXP and i still have a working win98se system for retro gaming and about 6 Pentium 75mgz cpus socket 7 in stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEg-v4AwlLY

Edited by shadow_647, 30 December 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#13 Gordy09

Gordy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hey y'all. Update: The hardrive was done. Got a new one and computer is working fine now. I was in the process of getting my program for work back on there and it would not go because the computer needed to do the windows update. Guess there is an update my work program requires. The computer repair guy said he usually does that but I needed the computer back as soon as possible for work. It is taking FOREVER for the windows update. Like it's been 5 hours. My question is, is that normal after a computer has been restored and how long should it take? The repair guy said it could take days. I don't have days. Gotta work... Thanks.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

The Windows Update service/function...is a known problem.

Is SP1 already installed?

Is IE 11 already installed?

Louis

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

I have done the Windows Update in "clumps", i.e., as dc3 once suggested - in chronological order, I would choose, download, install about 5-10 WUs at a time; when that batch is successfully finished, I do another batch of 5-10 WUs. 

Edited by RolandJS, 05 January 2017 - 04:56 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users