Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What graphic card for a upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

So i have a bit of a older build that was built with a APU. Never meant to use it for a gaming PC and i rarely ever play any video games. But once in a long while (6-7 years) i find something interesting. Well i screwed up and decided i would like to play GTA 5. Seems all im short of playing this game is a graphic card. More then likely once bored of this game i will give up games for another large number of years lol

So heres what im working with. MSI FM2-A85XA-G65, AMD A10-5800k Trinity 3.8ghz APU, 4 sticks of 4GB Adata XPG ram for a total of 16GB. I ended up with so much ram because of a warranty issue. Lastly a Corsair CX430 for power.

Id like to stick around $100 or less if i can?? clearly cheaper the better but id like the card to atlest hang with the rest of the system so maybe give several ideas with some details what performance wise?

I think way back when i built this thing i read somewhere adding a card to this APU the APU would still help graphics? not sure if thats true.

Im not sure if that power supply will be big enough? maybe just enough to get the game running good? I can play the game with just whats in the APU now but you can easily tell it is lagging and the quality is not very good. Not as bad as my old PS2 but bad enough lol

With that said please if you can help in any way i would be mighty thankful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:22 AM

Id shop arond for whatever you can get for $100 used and once bord of the game sell the video card for your cash back.

My self iv seen geforce 560TI 2gig ram go for like $60 canadain

Edited by shadow_647, 30 December 2016 - 04:23 AM.

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

I have a GTX 560ti. 660ti, and older GTX 460 if you're interested shoot me a PM they are just sitting in a box along with some older AMD cards.

#4 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Id shop arond for whatever you can get for $100 used and once bord of the game sell the video card for your cash back.

My self iv seen geforce 560TI 2gig ram go for like $60 canadain

OK. But what do i shop for? I understand it needs to be able to fit in a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot. On the back of GTA it shows 2GB but what els do i need to look for to match a card for what i have and what i want to do? I have never bought a graphic card before. Other then them 2 things im pretty dumb about it.

There must be more to it then i understand. This looks good to me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125785 with what little i know but im sure you are about to tell me it wont work? I really don't know.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

If you're willing to spend an extra $10 then this is a good choice https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814500412&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

If you want compare GPU's then use this site and configure the right hand GPU to what you are looking at http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660D-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m7929vs3650

The 7660D is the integrated graphics in your CPU

#6 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:49 AM

That card will for sure work with my system as it is and play GTA 5 good? If so i will stick it in my cart give this thread another day to see if anyone has anything cheaper that can do the same. If not i will order that one. $10 over is no big deal if thats what i need.

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:13 AM

That card will for sure work with my system as it is and play GTA 5 good? If so i will stick it in my cart give this thread another day to see if anyone has anything cheaper that can do the same. If not i will order that one. $10 over is no big deal if thats what i need.

Well, it's the best performing card that doesn't go wildly over budget. I'm not sure about Ultra Graphics/60FPS but it should do so much more better than your integrated. For example, I have 750 Ti and that can run XCOM 2 at 30 - 50 FPS Medium settings. a 1050 is more powerful and XCOM 2 is a much newer and more demanding game than GTA V so I'm assuming it will running well :)

#8 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Well, it's the best performing card that doesn't go wildly over budget. I'm not sure about Ultra Graphics/60FPS but it should do so much more better than your integrated. For example, I have 750 Ti and that can run XCOM 2 at 30 - 50 FPS Medium settings. a 1050 is more powerful and XCOM 2 is a much newer and more demanding game than GTA V so I'm assuming it will running well :)

Thats good enough for me! I don't need it to be tip top performance. I'm no real gamer. I like real toys to drive and ride. Spending big bucks on stuff for games seems crazy to me. Some of them 2-300 dollar cards would be a good pipe for my bike HaHa. I was checking into that card a bit last night and watched a video of a guy playing it with that card. Looked like no matter what he did it stayed above 35FPS with most of the settings maxed out. That sure beats what i have now with every setting at its lowest only getting 20FPS and many times can't see a darn thing in some areas. Like threw door ways. Its just a bunch of black blocks till i fully walk threw it.

Now another question. Is there anything i need to do or look out for when putting a new card in? Clearly i'v never done such a thing so i don't want to screw anything up.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Thats good enough for me! I don't need it to be tip top performance. I'm no real gamer. I like real toys to drive and ride. Spending big bucks on stuff for games seems crazy to me. Some of them 2-300 dollar cards would be a good pipe for my bike HaHa. I was checking into that card a bit last night and watched a video of a guy playing it with that card. Looked like no matter what he did it stayed above 35FPS with most of the settings maxed out. That sure beats what i have now with every setting at its lowest only getting 20FPS and many times can't see a darn thing in some areas. Like threw door ways. Its just a bunch of black blocks till i fully walk threw it.

Now another question. Is there anything i need to do or look out for when putting a new card in? Clearly i'v never done such a thing so i don't want to screw anything up.

You will need to ground yourself just as a reminder. An antistatic wrist strap should suffice and they're relatively inexpensive. This is to stop you from damaging any components inside the PC. I would tell you step by step on how to put a GPU in but there are some pre-made guides with pictures that will be a million times better than what I post here. There are plenty of guides around Google to look up so just search "How to install new GPU" or similar.

But good luck and tell us how it goes :)

#10 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

seems simple enough Thank you. Some times them write ups are out dated or miss something very important so i have learned asking is the best thing to do. So after reading some of them they state to remove old drivers. Does that still apply to me or only if i had a separate card? 

#11 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

seems simple enough Thank you. Some times them write ups are out dated or miss something very important so i have learned asking is the best thing to do. So after reading some of them they state to remove old drivers. Does that still apply to me or only if i had a separate card? 

Installation of GPU's hasn't changed much. If you're concerned you can find a guide that was made recently by filtering out the old ones in search but 99 times out of 100, they shouldn't be out of date.

I do not think that you should uninstall your integrated graphics drivers as you can't remove the physical component anyway so give it a try.

#12 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Yes you can and should uninstall the graphics drivers but usually only if you have an nVidia GPU. If AMD then no in most cases.

#13 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

Yes you can and should uninstall the graphics drivers but usually only if you have an nVidia GPU. If AMD then no in most cases.

He has an integrated AMD GPU

#14 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

The hard part of the internet these days not just the computer world ether is information is getting old out there and many forums have come to "just search your wasting our time asking such a question" Ya know i really hate that part. Some older threads on things are out dated or have been totally removed. I had looked up some info "something non computer related" come to find out the information from that old thread was worthless since the company had totally changed the workings. Almost screwed it up. I do understand people need to search but also i believe theres nothing wrong with making sure the information a person is going to find is still true. The ones that know are the ones who still mess with it every day. With that said THANK YOU for confirming and helping with a question im sure is beat to death around here. The way i had searched i was seeing threads from back in 06-07. 9 and 10 years old. As you know many things change in that time especially the computer world! 

Now for a update: The new card should be here in a couple days! Can't wait to see the change! Also excited because the HDMI port on my board some how got messed up so it is a pain to put stuff on the TV from the computer. Have to wiggle and fight with the plug to get it to work. This card should also take care of that issue.

#15 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:26 AM

He has an integrated AMD GPU

Yes and that is why I said that. Think about it. Having built and tweaked a hell of a lot of systems including AMD FM series - I can tell you that if you switch up from using the AMD APU to a discrete NV GPU then yes you need a specific order in how you do things if you want proper functionality. Like uninstalling the APU (graphical) part of the uninstall AMD package and even running DDU. Depends on the situation / OS. Usually on AMD driver packages for the APU boards they have an all-in-one installation package, and hence when you can also uninstall specific components within that package. Usually they are comprised of motherboard drivers and APU combined especially if you install from the mainboard manufacturer's model page or from the DVD install disk that comes from the OEM.

Edited by Zone_86, 04 January 2017 - 04:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users