Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer stopped printing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pizzahutray

pizzahutray

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

Can't figure out why. I was printing several individual pages two days ago and five minutes later I tried to reprint a page and the printer would not print any documents. It is a Brother HL-2240D if that matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

Test the printer on another computer, that should let you know if it is an issue with computer or printer.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

With the computer on, turn the printer off and then back on and see what the computers response is.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

Also, uninstalling and re-installing the printer software may help. :)

#5 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Don't have another computer to test it on. With the computer on, I then turn the printer off and back on, I hear the computer ping like when you attach a device or printer to it. When I look to see what printing jobs are in cue I see every job I want to print in the cue. the cue box says "use printer offline". When the initial printer box comes up to select the parameters like number of copies etc. that box indicates the printer is idle.

Edited by pizzahutray, 31 December 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

Have you tried any of the things listed here?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626971/printer-will-not-print-get-offline-message/

#7 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

Yes, all except connecting it to another computer. When I turn the printer off then on I hear the computer chime like when a usb device is plugged in and then unplugged. That is normal it, just won';t print.

#8 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Yes, all except connecting it to another computer. When I turn the printer off then on I hear the computer chime like when a usb device is plugged in and then unplugged. That is normal it, just won';t print.

This artice may help you, from http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2270dw_all&faqid=faq00100015_000

#9 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

rr

Edited by pizzahutray, 01 January 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#10 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

Already went through the Brother site. I'm using a usb cable this is not a wireless unit.

I discovered that the driver did not install. It acted like it installed and later I found a box that says there are no drivers installed. I tried the drivers I had then downloaded a new driver from Brother. the act like they installed but are not found in the system. Could something like a virus be blocking this driver from working

#11 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

Hi, @pizzahutray:

>>Disclaimer: I use HP printers, not Brother.  But what I suggest below should not depend on the printer manufacturer.

A few quick questions - the information you provide might help us to better help you:

1) What version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10) AND what architecture (32-bit or 64-bit)?

2) If I understand your original post correctly, everything was working fine until a few days ago?

3) If #2 is true, what (seemingly unrelated) changes were made to the system between the time when it WAS working until the time it was NOT working?

Examples:

•      Windows Updates? 
  •       Security software updates? 
  •       Brother printer software/drivers or firmware updates?
  •       Other new software installed on the computer
  •       New hardware or peripherals? 
  •       New USB cable connecting to the printer? 
  •       Has the printer or the computer been moved?
  •       Something else?

4) Is the printer under warranty?

5) Have you checked to be sure the USB cable is properly connected at both the computer end and at the printer end?

I understand that you already tried to reinstall drivers.

Most printers have a fairly "rigid" sequence of steps to properly install drivers/software, especially when it comes to connecting the USB or network cable.

Assuming that this is not a printer hardware failure or a problem with Windows itself, and until we know a bit more, I suggest starting from scratch:

1. Create a Windows system restore point.
  2. Download and save to a folder on your computer, but DO NOT yet install, a fresh set of drivers/software for your version of Windows and your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit):
    1. Here are some helpful links:
      1. http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail/1/HL2240D/Overview
      2. http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2240d_all
      3. http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqtop.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2240d_all
  3. Power off the printer and disconnect the USB cable that connects the computer to the printer.
  4. Completely uninstall ALL Brother software and drivers, including manually deleting any leftover files and folders.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Follow the instructions from Brother to install the drivers/software, connecting the USB cable only when prompted to do so by the setup wizard.

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 01 January 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#12 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

Hi MM,

Thank you for such a detailed message.

1. I'm running Windows 7,  64bit

2. Printer was working I printed several copies of a one page document and approximately 30-45 minutes later and without having turned the computer off in other words during the same session using the computer, the exact same document would no longer print. I thought it was an issue with this document but discovered in a few minutes nothing would print.

3. I did not download or install anything new during those 30-45 minutes.

OK, this is weird. I decided while making the three points above response, and thought to rule out the assumption that the hardware is working and take my printer to a friends and see if it was the printer itself. I loaded the drivers and the printer worked. I came back and when I plugged the usb cord into my computer there must have been a job cued as it printed immediately, with no input from me other than plugging in the usb cable.

Then I went to check under Programs and Features and the HL2240D is not listed there, yet the printer printed. I have now printed several documents and everything seems to be working fine even though the software is missing from Programs and Features in Control Panel. How is this thing printing?

Not sure if the problem is fully resolved or it is a glitch that caused this to work for a second. Any ideas?

Thanks for your message, attention and time so far.

pizzahutray

Edited by pizzahutray, 01 January 2017 - 11:43 PM.

#13 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

Hi:

5) Have you checked to be sure the USB cable is properly connected at both the computer end and at the printer end?

OK, this is weird. I decided while making the three points above response, and thought to rule out the assumption that the hardware is working and take my printer to a friends and see if it was the printer itself. I loaded the drivers and the printer worked. I came back and when I plugged the usb cord into my computer there must have been a job cued as it printed immediately, with no input from me other than plugging in the usb cable.

(emphasis mine)

Yes, it may have been a job stuck in the printer *queue* and physically disconnecting the printer from the computer may have cleared it.

(TBH I mistakenly assumed that clearing the queue was one of the first troubleshooting steps you might have tried. Sorry about that.)

But it sounds as if -- perhaps -- it might have been a loose USB cable connection?

In any event, I'm glad that you were able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers,

MM

#14 pizzahutray

pizzahutray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hi MM,

Thanks!!!