Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some drives go 100% on Windows 10, locking the computer up + ZeroAccess?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JJMononoetoe

JJMononoetoe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

Hello there,

I've been having some problems with my computer recently. What happens is that my Windows 10 (build 1607) computer slows down to a crawl, eventually becoming completely unusable. At that point only a hard reset helps. There are no error messages and no BSODs. The computer just stops working.

I personally think it's related to the Windows Anniversary update, but I can't revert to the previous build now. I was running out of harddrive space on my Windows drive and the only thing I could remove was the previous build. At that time I wasn't having any problems, so I figured it was safe.

I've tried disabling some services as suggested by some websites (namely superfetch and windows search), but that hasn't helped. I've done a virus scan with Avira and MBAM and both of them didn't find anything. I figured it might've been related to the new AMD ReLive drivers, but uninstalling them and running on basic Windows drivers didn't make the problem go away.

I have since run RKill, which produced an enormous logfile with a lot of entries referring to "ZEROACCESS Reparse Point/Junction found". I'm not sure if this is at all related to the problem I described before, but either way this sounds problematic.

What can and should I do?

EDIT: Oh, right. I also ran a chkdsk on all my disks, but they returned no errors.

Edited by JJMononoetoe, 29 December 2016 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

Does the computer exhibit this same behavior disconnected from the network? 

Make sure you have your product key stored someplace in case it is asked for in the event of a reinstall. (Although I have not been asked for it during reinstalls,, a photo of it stored on one of the free cloud services is a nice option, just in case)

If you have a product key, why not download and use the media creation tool to freshly install latest WIn10 build/update, which, short of a few updates, will not require too timely of a period to get patched? (Certainly, a botched/glitched/possibly infected installation will no longer be so after a 15 min format/fresh reinstall from USB...)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

Please post a new thread in the Virus & Spyware area, make sure and include a link from this thread in your new topic.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Make sure and post your FRST logs here.

When you have made the new thread, please post a link to it in this topic. :)

While you await a reply,. I suggest running this tool from ESET.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 30 December 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#4 JJMononoetoe

JJMononoetoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

Does the computer exhibit this same behavior disconnected from the network? 

Make sure you have your product key stored someplace in case it is asked for in the event of a reinstall. (Although I have not been asked for it during reinstalls,, a photo of it stored on one of the free cloud services is a nice option, just in case)

If you have a product key, why not download and use the media creation tool to freshly install latest WIn10 build/update, which, short of a few updates, will not require too timely of a period to get patched? (Certainly, a botched/glitched/possibly infected installation will no longer be so after a 15 min format/fresh reinstall from USB...)

I hadn't thought of keeping the device offline yet! I might try that. Sadly the trigger is seemingly entirely random, so I'd probably have to take a day or so testing that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regarding reinstalling: that's just incredibly inconvenient. Reinstalling Windows might be quick, but having to reinstall everything else is an awful job I'd rather avoid. If it can't be helped, sure, but I'll first just try to fix it.

Please post a new thread in the Virus & Spyware area, make sure and include a link from this thread in your new topic.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Make sure and post your FRST logs here.

When you have made the new thread, please post a link to it in this topic. :)

While you await a reply,. I suggest running this tool from ESET.

Thanks, will do!

#5 JJMononoetoe

JJMononoetoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

I have since made the new topic: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636041/pc-randomly-slows-down-massively-zeroaccess-infection/#entry4150113

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Good luck. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users