Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"D-Sub No Signal" on first PC build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RicketyComputer

RicketyComputer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

First of all, before I start, here are the system specifications (that might be relevant to this issue):

Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 (3.2GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS B150M-A/M.2

Graphics Card: Gigabyte AMD RX480 w/4GB of GDDR5 VRAM

Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite 550 Ver.2 (550W)

HDD: Barracuda ST100DM010 1TB SATA 6GB/s 64MB

RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Valueselect DDR4

Monitor: LG 22M38D-B 22in 1920x1080p LED

Now on to the actual problem. 

When I turn the computer on, it works perfectly fine (to a complete novice); decoration lights are on and the fans are turning.

However, connecting the monitor to the computer with a DVI-D cable (which is the only one that works, as the monitor only accepts DVI-D and VGA) from the graphics card (which supports HDMI, DVI-D, and DP) doesn't seem to do anything. Firing the whole system up (Monitor, computer, keyboard, and mouse) leads to the computer running as usual, with the monitor only displaying "Checking Signal..." until after a while it displays "D-SUB NO SIGNAL". I've searched this up and the only results are to remove, clean, and reinsert the ram and taking out the CMOS battery for 10 minutes then reinsert it. I've the remove-clean-reinsert method, but nothing's changed. Reading the comments of a video that took out the CMOS battery on the motherboard along with the RAM reinserting apparently tells me that it will cause a lot of restarting, so I'm scared to try it. I've also replaced and reinserted the graphics card, CPU and verifying if the cables I plugged in were in the correct socket. 

If there are any solutions that I haven't found, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:50 AM

What happens if you press the INPUT/EXIT button on the monitor? Does the display change to "DVI NO SIGNAL"?

Have you tried using no video card and the motherboard's VGA output?

Edited by Platypus, 30 December 2016 - 12:54 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RicketyComputer

RicketyComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:17 AM

Yep, says "DVI-D No Signal".

Tried it with VGA and it still displays the same "D-SUB No Signal" thing.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Then, assuming the monitor is known to be working correctly, it looks like the system is not running. Do you have a chassis speaker connected to the speaker out pins adjacent to the SATA connectors, so you can hear if there is a BIOS OK beep, or an error code?

#5 RicketyComputer

RicketyComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Ok, so the only cable I have running out of the front panel that is audio related is the HD Audio one. Do I move it from the front panel audio connector (10-1 pin AAFP) to the speaker connector (4-pin SPEAKER)?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

If your case doesn't have a chassis speaker, you'd need something like below, or any speaker with the right connector, one from an old computer case etc...

$_103.JPG?set_id=2

Having the ability to hear BIOS beep codes helps a lot with diagnosis when you strike a problem.

Assembling an entire new system and having it not operate leaves you at a disadvantage since everything is an unknown quantity - PSU, connections, CPU fit, mainboard, RAM...

You appear to have eliminated the video card as a candidate by not using it and still getting no signal from onboard video. If you can get to hear BIOS error beeps, you can remove drive connections and RAM, and see if the CPU/mainboard combination operates and gives the correct alert for missing RAM. That then gives you a direction to search depending on that result.

Edited by Platypus, 30 December 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#7 RicketyComputer

RicketyComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

Ouch... looks like I'd have to wait a lot longer for me to be even able to know what's wrong with my computer.

Shipping time for one of those is 3-5 days...

I can't salvage an old one from another case either as the current case is the only one I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users