Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojans Are After Me!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raddish6

Raddish6

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Problem: I keep getting Trojan virus warnings from my Norton saying that it was denied access. I totally delete them and they keep showing up. This time I withdrew my connection and lo and behold, I got it again which leads me to believe that it is in my system somewhere and when it tries to rear its ugly head, my antivirus prevents it from playing havoc. I have researched how to get rid of this problem and I have been stopped at this point: System Restore Turn Off -- it says my restore points will be deleted and when I turn it back on, I will not be able to know where my system was. What does this mean in plain English? I can't seem to press the "okay button" after that warning, it scares me! Please advise. This is in the instructions for deleting the various types of Trojans that have joined my computer in the last 48 hours. Thank you for allowing me to join your forum and thank you in advance for allowing me to cry on your shoulders. Regards, Raddish6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:39 PM

Some versions of the Windows operating system allow the user to create, or to automatically create, restore points, or pictures in time of certain key files used by the operating system. Restoring your computer to one of those points in time will change the content of those key (e.g.registry)files.
Now it is true that some malware will attempt to hide in these files, because Windows "protects" them from being interfered with or deleted (by accident, for example).
Now, when you turn off System Restore, all availabe restore points are "lost" to the system (they may be there on the drive, but Windows just can't find them or access them). If these system restore points (or files) contain malware, the malware also vanishes.
The best procedure would be to disable system restore, run a thorough anti-virus scan of the entire computer's drive(s) allowing it to fix any problems it finds, and then to turn Restore back on, and manually create a "clean" restore point.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Raddish6

Raddish6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

Problem Solved! Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users