Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activating WIndows 8.1 Enterprise: an impossible task or am I doing it wrong?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

I recently decided to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise on a computer of mine, and everything was smooth sailing...................until the activation step (as it should be right.....everyone always has these kinds of problems). Although I could successfully enter the product key I couldn't validate the copy and kept getting a "0x8007232B DNS name does not exist" error. I looked up the error code online and nearly every fix suggested performing the "nslookup -type=all _vlmcs._tcp>kms.txt" in an elevated command prompt, but I couldn't do it and kept getting a "Non existent domain" error. I looked this up and from what it seems my activation error seems to be a DNS issue, based on those who have had errors the same as mine:
http://practicalschooltech.blogspot.com/2014/01/server-2012-activation-error-0x8007007b.html

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28701947/Office-2010-KMS-Host-Activation.html

Per the first link I went into my network adapter's advanced TCP/IP settings and checked the DNS settings and saw the "Apply primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" circle darkened and the "Append parent suffixes" box checked. From looking at the guide it seemed I had to change it to the second option.

But this is where I get extremely confused.

I think I'm supposed to enter in my DNS suffix but I have absolutely no idea what it is and if I even have one. I looked further for some alternative solutions and found that the only way people could accomplish it is by calling Microsoft to validate it by phone.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563132/cant-activate-windows/

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4cmmk3/windows_user_license_is_expiring_error_code/

But I'm not able to call Microsoft and validate it by phone, so I really don't know what to do at this point. Help would be appreciated as I nearly wasted my entire day trying to fix it myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Did you purchase your copy of Windows 8.1 Enterprise installation media from a reputable vendor and have a legal product code for this version of Windows 8.1?

Edited by dc3, 31 December 2016 - 09:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

It was from a friend of mine who had keys for the OS (he also provided me with the disc) and I have no idea how he got it (well he works in a computer store so I guess he just bought some of the keys they had???), I didn't get the key myself if that's what you're asking.

Regardless, it's not too much of an issue now because I lent it to him because this was driving me nuts and he somehow activated it.

For future reference for anyone else having this problem, if I had the key purchased myself, what would you have suggested?

Edited by amassiveheartbreak, 31 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

You need to have a legal product code to activate this installation.  What you have done essentially is a illegal installation.  If you googled the error code that you posted in this topic you would find that the problem with activating is related to a volume license product key.  If you friend gave you a "viable" product key I would be willing to bet that it is from a volume license.  You may need to purchase a legal product key.

If you wish to learn more about what else can cause this error use this link.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 amassiveheartbreak

amassiveheartbreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, figured.

I've come across that term a lot looking this error up so it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by amassiveheartbreak, 31 December 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

For future reference for anyone else having this problem, if I had the key purchased myself, what would you have suggested?

I asked the question because I wanted to know where the product code came from.  There are some generic product codes that were usable early on, I just want to be sure that you weren't attempting to use one of these.

I'm glad to hear you friend turned out to be a standup guy and took care of the problem. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users