Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am connected to the internet, but the icon says I'm not?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Icecream_man

Icecream_man

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

I bought a bluetooth dongle off ebay and was using bluesoleil software to get it to work.  It works but kind of a pain.  It did two weird things one is with the WIFI.  I uninstalled bluesoleil and tried to do a system restore but couldn't do so.

I'm connected to the internet but the symbol says that I am not.  How can I fix this cause it's annoyijng to look at.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

Have you tried disabling bluetooth all together? Does your computer have a internal wireless card? If so, what model card or computer?

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Do apps like Skype work?

Hit the start menu or windows key + R -- Type hh h into search bar  it hit enter.

Hit the yellow question mark.

Select jump to URL

Type Google.com

Hit enter.

Are you able to go online?

#4 Icecream_man

Icecream_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

After uninstalling bluesoliel, the bluetooth icon is there.  I took the dongle out and put it back in and still the same wifi issue.  Idk what happened after installing bluetooth sound and wifi acted differently.  Like now they are being used in a different way.

Computer is an 8yr old gaming pc I put together.  All it plays are older games like bioshock 2 which I still haven't played.  I'm using a wifi card I don't trust the onboard wifi or it doesn't come with wifi I can't remember.

Internet works perfectly fine, but for whatever reason the wrong icon is displayed.  Instead of the green icon it's the x out icon.

I think something happened to homegroup.  I don't use that but that disappeared.  I believe I fixed the homegroup.  I am also using a VPN service (Ivacy).  Can I attach screen captures to the forum?  I think that would make what I'm saying easier to understand.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:52 AM

Open device manager.

Right click -- Uninstall your wireless driver.

Reboot machine.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

Computer is an 8yr old gaming pc I put together. 

Could you include specs or model number of motherboard or wireless NIC? Another words, besides the bluetooth dongle, what are you using for the gaming computer to get a wireless connection? Another USB dongle? PCI-E?

#7 Icecream_man

Icecream_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

Motherboad is the MSI P5-GD55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Mobo

I think the wifi card is a rosewill model.  It could be pci express or just pci.

I'll try and reinstall drivers when I go home.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

I would suggest actually uninstalling the driver for the Rosewill adapter first, instead of just installing the driver over the old one. Also check that your Motherboard chipset drivers are updated too. Most recent is 8.947.0.0. Not sure what OS your using, but see here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users