Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building an $800 gaming pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Parallax990

Parallax990

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hi so my friend wants a gaming pc and i'd like some help getting her the latest and greatest best bang for her buck parts for the pc. ( that sentence tho)

So yeah i think her only suggestions is a cool looking case and a 1 tb hard drive. I don't know a whole lot about finding the parts i just know how to put them together and please don't think i'm being lazy! I've searched youtube and other forums but still haven't found a good setup for her. ALSO I think an AMD build might be better but you all know your stuff so if you recommend intel just lemme know! 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Fill that:

Laptop or Desktop?

My budget for the new computer is:

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Will you be overclocking?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

#3 Parallax990

Parallax990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $800

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer?  Steam 

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? All Kinds. Like Rust, Battlefield, and others like that. Skyrim maybe too?

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually close programs i'm not using

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? US

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? Windows 10

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? She just wants a badass gaming pc

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nzdgZ8

+ case.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

You could also go with an I5 6500 build with some DDR4 and a B150 motherboard -- it's alternative to the older FX 8320 DDR3 build.

Edited by Zone_86, 30 December 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nzdgZ8

Funny that thing pumped out that list of parts, its not bad.

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/38rPvV

An edited list (from Drillingmachine's first post).

I changed the processor from the AMD FX 8320E to an i5 6500 which has a much faster single core speed which makes it significantly better for gaming.

The Motherboard and RAM were changed too. Motherboard is ATX which means you'll need a ATX case. RAM is 8 GB which is definitely enough

I changed the GPU to a 480 as they were practically the same price. Not a massive performance difference but it's still noticeable

PSU was a little overboard in my opinion so I swapped it for a well reviewed 500 W which is more than enough.

Another note is what monitor does OP use?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

i5-6500 is only quad core and when DirectX 12 games gain more ground, quad core is simply no enough. And there is no point upgrading i5-6500 to anything better too.

With stock cooler i5-6500 gets very hot.

Very good option is to wait for mid January when we get much more info about Ryzen.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 30 December 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

i5-6500 is only quad core and when DirectX 12 games gain more ground, quad core is simply no enough. And there is no point upgrading i5-6500 to anything better too.

With stock cooler i5-6500 gets very hot.

Very good option is to wait for mid January when we get much more info about Ryzen.

Although considering the fact that OP wants to play lots of different games (old and new) then an i5 6500 would be a compromise between single core performance and cores.

#10 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

If i were bying now I would get the I5 6500/6400 for better gaming performance and so that the DDR4 memory could be reused on the yet to be released platforms. If extreme budget was a consideration I would get an FX 8320 on a high quality AMD 970 board and call it a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users