Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Snapshot Folder On Desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

There is a folder on my desktop called Snapshot, which is empty. I have tried sending it to recycle bin, deleting it, and using killbot to delete it. I keeps coming back everytime I restart the computer. Please, someone tell me how to get rid of this annoying folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

It sounds to me that some photo application is recreating the folder upon startup. You may be able to research which application by following the folder's path.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

could this be from a virus? nothing has shown up on avg or spybot

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

Is this a folder you have used at all? It may be from some kind of PC recovery program. Or, someone in your family may have gone to an online photo site which may then have installed a permanent desktop folder to store photos. There are a lot of uses of the word "snapshot." If it's a file-recovery program, it would keep copies of your files in case one got lost or damaged.

If you're at a university, they sometimes have a snapshot folder for things you post to their servers.

If you have SQL server, that needs a snapshot folder.

Do you have any programs that you think might need to back up files on your computer temporarily?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

Is this a folder you have used at all? It may be from some kind of PC recovery program. Or, someone in your family may have gone to an online photo site which may then have installed a permanent desktop folder to store photos. There are a lot of uses of the word "snapshot." If it's a file-recovery program, it would keep copies of your files in case one got lost or damaged.

If you're at a university, they sometimes have a snapshot folder for things you post to their servers.

If you have SQL server, that needs a snapshot folder.

Do you have any programs that you think might need to back up files on your computer temporarily?

It's not a folder that anyone in my family has used.

The only program I think that backs stuff up is windows system restore, which is on.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:34 AM

Leave it alone then so it does not
disable the System Restore file.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

can you please elaborate? I mean if its that important why cant it be moved without popping back up on the desktop?

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

hi, thrillhouse,

does it look like it belongs in anything connected with the link below?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151151.aspx

check in the add/remove programes for any entries connected with above,

good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users