Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which one to choose ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tester1

Tester1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi everyone !

I post this because I have a dilemma. 

A friend recommended I install AVG full version on my computer, but the technician who usually fixes my computer whenever I have a problem told me that it would crash it and recommended I buy Karspersky instead.

It's true that on an older computer I have a blue screen problem since I installed AVG, the computer restarts automatically from time to time (crashes).

Both the friend and the technician also warned me that AVG could remove system files. Now I'm not a technician myself and I don't understand what this means.

I need a for-pay anti-malware solution that protects also against spyware and that is reliable enough. I only use the new computer for work, so it is very important for me to get a very good protection. I'm currently using Avast on the new computer but I know it is not very performant (I got infected by an USB virus and only AVG could remove the virus and clean the USB stick). Even Malwarebytes didn't find the virus, only AVG.

Yet if there is an alternative that doesn't risk crashing my computer, I would like to know, because crashes can result in data losses, which would be just as bad as a virus.

Can you please help me ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up. Depending on what operating system you are using, some anti-virus may no longer be compatible so it is possible there could be come conflict causing the crashes.

I do not recommend AVG anymore for a variety of reasons but removal of system files is not one of them. With that said, there have been instances in the past when critical system files have been falsely detected by several well known anti-virus programs resulting in instability and even unbootable computers.

Before providing recommendations for an anti-virus, you may want to tell us what operating system you are using.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Tester1

Tester1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Thank you quietman7. Yes, I am using windows 7 pro on the old computer and windows 8.1 pro on the new one. I will probably upgrade to windows 10, though, during the course of the year, but not right now.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

AVG should work with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 so I have no idea why the system is crashing.

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hi:

For the record, AVG was recently purchased by Avast.

https://press.avast.com/avast-announces-agreement-to-acquire-avg-for-13b

I use neither product (so I cannot attest to their quality), but I do not know how much longer the AVG brand will be around.

So AVG may not be a viable, long-term choice?

I would stick with @quietman7's advice -- he knows what he's talking about.

Cheers,

MM

#6 Tester1

Tester1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:22 AM

Thank you so much quietman7 ! 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users