Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not booting after Win 10 upgrade :(

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

Hi.

I have a Packard Bell TE69KB Laptop that was running Windows 8.

I have just done an upgrade to windows 10. It was all going well, downloaded the files and installed them no problem. It rebooted a couple of times like it said it would, but on the 3rd boot, it just comes up with the Packard Bell screen and goes no further. The hard drive is still running and every few minutes the drive light flashes for a few seconds which made me think its not crashed. I've left it sitting for 6 hours but has not gone any further. I tried forcing a turn off and when I switch it on again, I just get the Packard Bell screen again.

I desperately need help, even if its just some way to revert back to windows 8 without losing anything, or getting it to carry on with its upgrade.

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

First try powercycling the computer. Pull the power cord and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power adapter and replace the battery. Reboot.

If that does not work then I think you will need to recover your data to an external drive and reinstall Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 if you have the key for Windows 10. Windows 10 is no longer offering 10 for free as an upgrade from 7 or 8.

In either case you would need to reinstall all your programs so for any purchased programs make sure you have the license keys. You can recover your personal data either by attaching the HDD to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter. It would also be possible booting from a live linux disk.

#3 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Powercycle never worked (never does anyway)

Weird thing is that when I turn the laptop off and restart it, the hard drive is working as if its loading something. After 5 mins it stops and then then does something every couple of mins. Makes me think nothing is wrong with it, but cant get past initial startup screen

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

You can test the hard drive using UBCD. You can burn the iso on Windows 7 or later by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If the computer is UEFI then SecureBoot will needs to be disabled in order for UBCD to boot. 

At the Menu screen of UBCD select Parted Magic. At the desktop click on Disk Health and do the short/long tests.

Edit: I am not sure the following will work as the install of Windows 10 may have failed. If it does work it may get you to Safe Mode after selecting Troubleshoot.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#5 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

I don't get to the rotating loading circle. Just the initial Packard bell logo.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hopefully somebody else can give their ideas on recovering but personally I think you are looking at a reinstall.

I also think that upgrading a completely different OS like Windows 10 on top of another OS is a bad idea but that's just me.

#7 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Parted Magic came back as 100% fine.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Something went wrong during the upgrade. 

Download the Windows 10 install media using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive.

At the screen where is says Repair Computer click it and then do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts. See the heading- Booting to Recovery Environment using Install Media. It can take up to three attempts to do the repair.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2016 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users