Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook desktop version and web version file deletion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

I hope this is not too cryptic a title but don't know better way to put this.

I purchased a new computer and wanted to set up MS Outlook the same way it was set up on the old computer. Both computers run 2016 version. My goal was to have outlook on my PC download the messages and delete them on server so there is nothing on the web (this is just a personal private account, not business). I had it set up that way before in Outlook 2007 and know it worked just fine.

This is a gmail account.

I signed in to that account on the web version and  discovered that even though the email is downloaded and the settings say to delete when downloaded, email on the web remains. I decided to delete emails on the web version and proceeded to delete quite a number of folders. at the time, the desktop version was also open.

I then went to desktop version and to my horror discovered that desktop version now was missing the same folders and emails that were deleted off the web version.

It took me a while to figure out that i still had the backup file that i used during the move from one computer to the next (thank you Dropbox!) that i could restore the desktop version with just a few loses.

1. I am looking  for a way to clean up the web version provided i can figure out how to do that without deleting desktop files. 

2. auto backup for desktop version of outlook. is there a way to automate that? i don't want to take any chances. 

Thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

It seems you are accessing the gmail account using the IMAP protocol, with IMAP the e-mail is stored on the gmail server and Outlook is keep in sync with the server that's why if you delete some mails using the web interface they will be removed from outlook and vice-versa.

If I'm not mistaken Outlook will also show some local folders besides the IMAP folders/labels on the server, if you move the messages from the IMAP folders to the local folders they get deleted from the gmail server and keep only on the local Outlook folders.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

It seems you are accessing the gmail account using the IMAP protocol, with IMAP the e-mail is stored on the gmail server and Outlook is keep in sync with the server that's why if you delete some mails using the web interface they will be removed from outlook and vice-versa.

If I'm not mistaken Outlook will also show some local folders besides the IMAP folders/labels on the server, if you move the messages from the IMAP folders to the local folders they get deleted from the gmail server and keep only on the local Outlook folders.

Yes, sorry, i should have posted my settings:

tried to add a picture but not seeing the attachment option?

Account type IMAP and grayed out, not able to change

incoming server pop.gmail.com

outgoing stmp.gmail.com

That is what the provider (verizon) told me it should be. don't have much faith in their ability to give the right info, so asking here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users