Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spinning circle - Unable to boot pc or enter safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisD_84

ChrisD_84

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi there.

I hope someone can offer some advice as I am completely stuck.

I have done some searches on the net about this and there are lots of similar issues but I still haven't found an answer that helps my issue.

The main problem is that I have the blue screen with the spinning circle when trying to boot my pc (windows 10) and I cannot find a way to enter safe mode.

I have read that you should press ctrl+alt+delete while the spinning circle is showing which will bring up a menu but for me it does not.

I tried f8 when booting to enter safe mode but that did nothing.

I also read that if you can get to the login screen you can press the power button in the corner to reboot in to safe mode, however when I occasionally do see the background image appear where the login screen usually is, there is no login box or power button, only the network icon. Pressing anything at all brings up the spinning circle again.

I unplugged everything from the pc (Inc. network cable) except the monitor and power cable and the issue still remains.

I am lost for what to do now as nothing i have tried works and I am stuck with this spinning circle!

Also to note, this started out as an issue with apps not loading so i found a site with a number of suggestions, one of which was to change permissions on the c drive.

This didn't solve the issue but I noticed that it had removed my pc pin for some reason and when I tried to add it again nothing would happen, I clicked add and nothing happened.

In the end I did the windows reset pc method hoping that would sort it out and after this the issue still remained.

I downloaded a program from tweaking.com to reset windows 10 permissions and before running it it suggested to switch the pc off and unplug etc to drain the power.

When I turned the pc back on is when i got the spinning circle for the first time.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 😊

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisD_84

ChrisD_84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

I have managed to get back into windows after a lot of trying.

I created a windows 10 repair disk on my dad's pc and put that on a USB stick.

This would not boot without being able to access the bios to change the boot device, however I managed to figure out that pressing either f1 or f12 rapidly while the pc logo shows (immediately after pc startup) will load the bios.

I ran the repair disk and the repair feature failed to fix anything and the system restore option failed to restore twice.

The last option apart from a full reinstallation was the command prompt.

I used the following link to get the commands to repair the master boot record:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

I didn't know if this was the issue but as the other options failed I thought it could be a corrupt mbr. I entered the comnands, rebooted the pc and it loaded normally again.

I've no idea what caused the mbr to become corrupted apart from maybe the windows reset that I ran.

I still have to check if everything else is working OK but at least I am back in windows again!

Hopefully the above might help someone else if they have a similar issue.

#3 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:32 PM

Looks like I am a little late on this and glad you got it sorted out.

Although I could be wrong, I doubt that the MBR was problem. I have had this very problem a couple times before and always after updates are installed. I remove all usb storage devices and adapters and restart. It solves it for me. In my experiences, each PC had a wireless Logitech mouse, sometimes a mouse and keyboard combo.  

I am not saying Logitech is the problem, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it all works once the adapter is pulled and the PC boots without a problem. Of course I plug the adapter back in once Windows is booted and use the mouse like nothing was wrong.

#4 ChrisD_84

ChrisD_84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hello Nightspear, thanks for your reply.

I unplugged everything apart from the power and monitor cable and it still didn't work, the only thing that could have been plugged in is an internal wireless device but I haven't actually opened the pc up to check as I only bought the pc a couple of weeks ago.

I'm glad it's working now either way but I've still got the issue of not being able to add a pin, half the time the sign in options page won't load and when it does sometimes load I press the add pin button and nothing happens.

#5 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Most windows issues can be fixed with the System file checker. Open an elevated CMD  and type sfc /scannow and allow it to complete its scan. It will report back if finds any corruption ans whether or not it was able to fix it.

#6 ChrisD_84

ChrisD_84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi there, thanks for your reply again.

I did that originally before I did the windows reset I think and it found no issues.

I will try it again today though, you never know 😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users