Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Setting DNS in Router

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nzyme

Nzyme

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

Hello friends, I would like your valuable advice on using an alternate DNS service in my router software. I am particularly interested in blocking ads/malware/privacy trackers from webpages using this method. I am aware of other methods (installed software, browser extensions, OS settings, etc.) of filtering unwanted content but would like to venture into this area as well.

1. What are the pros/cons of using this approach?

2. Can you recommend a good one based on your experience? (Just came across "Alternate DNS"). Need one that can block most number of unwanted content as highlighted above.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Whats your router ? as well if your the only user on the network its not hard to change dns servers in windows.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

1. What are the pros/cons of using this approach?

Pro you block about 75 percent of all ads, even on your phone.

Con. Nothing.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

This OpenDNS support article does a pretty good job describing how alternate DNS can protect you. OpenDNS offers either "OpenDNS Home" or "OpenDNS Family Shield" which is preconfigured to block adult content. "OpenDNS Home VIP" offers everything Home does, but allows whitelisting and usage stats. See here for more info.

#5 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Like Trikein says Open DNS is great blocks lots and you can add your own list of sites and a bonus its FREE.

https://www.opendns.com/

Also MVP Hosts isn't DNS but it does block a lot of what you want.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Peerblock is a program that also blocks some of the things you want it does a free version but limits updates to one a week you can also add your own lists manually.

http://forums.peerblock.com/

There are also browser add ons like

Priviacy badger

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp

Adblock

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

The downside is that you may find you want to watch a certain video some will only allow you to proceed and watch the movie/program if you turn the ad blocker off and MVP hosts may make some links void as they may be connected to an advertising company and redirect you via there site to a chosen link.

Hope that's a little help.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Ps the Peerblock topic is all most dead, lists are not longer updated at I-blocklists even if you pay, you can get lists from other places but thier not as good.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:38 AM

perhaps this could be of some interest to you? :)
http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-community/english-version/

hth

tfn

#8 Nzyme

Nzyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the advise. I am concerned if changing the DNS1 and DNS2 of my router to the one specified by the service will have any privacy issues. Will it be more easy then for someone to hack my network? Of course, one other drawback of using this would be the speed of browsing/downloading.

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

if you are worried about the effects of changing dns and webpage loading speeds you can try using firefox with the firebug addon.
it allows you to look at how long time your computer uses to open a webpage.

one of the parameters it measures is wait time for dns lookup. you will most likely have a much longer loading time than lookup time.

test it for yourself with your isp's dns servers and other dns servers :)

as for the easy to hack thing.
using a dns from an unknown source can of course be dangerous.

if you want to be sure use the free opendns servers or nortons safeconnect. both are from reputable companies that you can trust a lot more than unknown dns server companies

the disadvantage is that they dont block ads. if you want to do that you might have to edit the host file on each computer instead

hth

tfn

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Everyone is talking about Open DNS. The op was asking about alternate DNS, which works very well. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users