Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 - Constantly have to reseat SSD/HDD drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

I built my PC about 3 years ago or so. It has a 600W power supply, with an internal 1TB HDD, 5 TB HDD, 400GB HDD, and my 200GB SSD which I use to run the OS off of. 

Every so often my OS will freeze which forces me to reboot. When rebooting it cannot find my SSD and states there is no capability to boot off the next drive. Every time this happens the SSD is not visible in the BIOS settings so I need to reseat the hard drives and boot back into the bios to fix the boot order. It doesn't happen often maybe about once a month or so but its extremely annoying. 

I read somewhere maybe the sata cables may be bad or something maybe I need more power? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

With 600W I doubt you need more power unless you are also running multiple cd/dvd drives and/or aftermarket graphics cards. OuterVision has a nice PSU calculator at http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator if you want to find out for sure.

It never hurts to use the fastest cable you can. However, if you are running SATA2 ports on your mobo, a SATA3 cable is only going to go as fast as the SATA2 ports allows it to.

Have you trimmed the SSD and updated your bios?

Since the OS is installed on SSD, Windows is smart enough to switch the defrag to trim. Make sure disk optimization (trim) is scheduled to run regularly. Go to This PC -> right click C:\ -> properties -> tools tab -> optimize -> change settings  and set schedule.

Edited by Nightspear, 30 December 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#3 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

As I was reading your post, it occurred to me, just a gut feeling, that your symptoms might have a similar cure to one I've recently experienced.

Occasionally after powering down my Toshiba laptop, it won't respond when the power button is pressed.

I've come to see it as a "self-defense" response.

The issue is caused by an abundance of Electro-Motive Force (A real EMF of stearoid-powered, adolescent electrons, power-trippin' on pure milliamperes of raw current! ;-) retained in various components on the MOBO.

To correct it, I remove the adapter and battery, then hold the power button down for over 30 seconds. That's all.

I then reattach the adaptor, NO battery, press the power button and the laptop boots.

Where your drives seem to reset after being disconnected, then reconnected and, your words, "reseated," perhaps you are causing the same effect, by discharging the residual power in the system.

Which gets to the second aspect, the amperage supplied.

I've found that when using the Radio Shack ENERCELL power supply (with the nifty adaptors) is when I most often see the problem.
ENERCELL 19V - 4.7A
Toshiba 19V - 3.42A

I didn't come up with this, (shamefully) learned it scrounging with g''''e, but, it works.

Maybe your solution could be that simple.

#4 Del64

Del64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

Nightspear -

This is my motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872 

Trim is enabled on my desktop. Maybe its just time to upgrade some of the sata cables. I tried switching them around to see if it was that specific cable but I will wait and see if it occurs again.

Power calculator checks out. I am well under the wattage required. 

OldGeekTweaker - 

So if I am understanding you correctly maybe I should invest in a better outside power strip? 

Edited by Del64, 30 December 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#5 OldGeekTweaker

OldGeekTweaker

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Not necessarily. And if I'm understanding correctly, this is a tower, or desktop, not a laptop. Still, there must be some constraints as to the voltage & current levels applied or available to the various devices and motherboard. I haven't built a tower since Spring of '98, so I'm not current on hdwr specs as then.

You know more about the specs than I.

I was speculating that perhaps too much current is being applied, based solely on my recent experience, and that's purely anecdotal. Hardly a whiff of anything empirical.

#6 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

I thought the 600W was more than enough.

What about BIOS? Is it up to date?

Lets not forget to make sure you SSD firmware is also up to date. The SSD manufacturer should have info pertaining to this. E.G. Crucial has Storage Executive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users