Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Updates unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drummer4242

Drummer4242

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

My Win 10 became infected so I formatted my Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD and attempted to install Win 10. When I select format, I get '...this ide drive must be GPT'. I'm running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mainboard with an AMD FX8320 8-core CPU with a Corsair H80 cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3. I tried all the different settings in the BIOS: tried Legacy, UEFI, AHCI, nothing worked. This has always been a problem with this system. I have, in the past, been able to install 8.1 Pro and then upgrade. I've done it without issue several times. This time, Windows Update just sits there looking for updates. I have run several recommended Microsoft fixes ie: cmcd line entries. Ran the Windows Update fix, it found and fixed 3 errors. Any other kb files I download & attempt to install, they all look for updates. I reinstall 8.1 4 times now with no luck. When I run the Win 10 updater, it sticks at the same point as well. I've tried everything that I can think of. I work on computers everyday and have never run into this before. I plan on running MHDD on the 850 Pro and see what I get. Anyone have any good suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drummer4242

Drummer4242
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

I am also getting the same thing on my laptop which is running Windows 7 Pro. I have reset my router as well. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Any other kb files I download & attempt to install, they all look for updates.

This always happens. To get round it, once you have downloaded the updates you want to install manually, you have to go back into Windows updates in control panel and set the download settings to 'never'. Ignore any warnings about this not being a  good idea then re-boot. Then install your updates.

The biggest drawback to doing it this way is that you can only install one update at a time.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users