Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't boot chkdsk always fails "An unspecified error occurred"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

My Lenovo laptop was running flawlessly last night and showed no signs of failure/fault/nothing. I woke up this morning to see that it rebooted into startup repair that seems like was hanging for hours. it said "Repairing disk errors" It sat on that screen all day until 7 PM. At that time I turned off the laptop and pulled the hard drive and hooked it up via USB to ATA Bridge and ran chkdsk. chkdsk always fails with "An unspecified error occurred "696e647863686b2e e0b" Which I googled but only got other errors, there wasn't anything for "696e647863686b2e e0b". so I threw quotes around the "696e647863686b2e e0b" but only junk PDF files came up. There seems to be no information on this error. Not sure how a computer could be working flawlessly one day and show signs of failure the next :( I have another hard drive that I can clone the data to but I need access to the data first.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 28 December 2016 - 09:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Run the following command from the recovery console.

chkdsk C: /f /r

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

As I already mentioned I already tried that with the hard drive hooked up to the USB bridge on my Desktop and that is what is throwing the error

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

You did not mention that you used these specific commands, if the machine did this on its own then it is not the same. Run check disk with the commands given to you then tell me how things are running,.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

If you just want the data, then use a puppy linux disk to gather things you need.

#6 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

Whenever I try the chkdsk /f /r in recovery console chkdsk always stops early! It always stops after stage 2/5 right when it says "Index Verification Complete" I Googled the problem but only results about that you shouldn't stop chkdsk early came up. There is nothing about chkdsk stopping early on its own and calling it done! Windows still only boots into Startup repair.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

Alright, grab your files via puppy....

#8 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

I just tried the Puppy Linux and it won't work. It always gets stuck at

"Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives" and it never moves on

I Googled the message but nothing came up. All that showed was people posting the log and "[done]" was at the end of all of that message. There is nothing regarding it getting stuck at that spot

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 05 January 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

These instructions come courtesy of @phillpower2

Puppy%20Linux.png Backup your data using Puppy Linux

=================== 
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 
Blank CD, 
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive) 
=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click 1BurnCDCCIcon.PNGBurnCDCC
  • Click Browse 2BurnCDCCBrowseButton.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start 3BurnCDCCStartButton.PNG
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 
(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 
4BIOSBootPriorityImage.png

3.  Recover Your Data
Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5PuppyLinuxMountIcon.PNG
  • A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now.

3b. Transfer Files.

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos
Alternatively search for Main drive >> Users >> Username

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. Just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. 
Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png

#10 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

I did all that. Those instructions are incorrect

It sits on that message for 15 minutes and then when it eventually gets to the Puppy Linux

It always fails as Whenever I try to mount the volume as indicated in the instructions

"The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS

Partition returned this error message:
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed. Input/Output error

Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/Output error

NTFS is either consistent, or there is a hardware fault."

When I run the ntfsfix commandline I always get an error

"pread: Input/Output error

Failed to calculate number of free clusters. Input/Output error.

Remount failed: Input/Output error"

These instructions are incorrect.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

Alright, I think your HDD just may be toast. But I am going to Private message someone that I think can help you. I hope they respond. :)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

I think your hard drive has failed as InadequateInfirmity posted.

Download UBCD. Burn the iso to CD. When UBCD boots select Parted Magic from the menu screen. At the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health. Do the short and long tests. Under the attributes tab look for any pink and especially red rows.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users