Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help determining if my motherboard is defective or not.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 broken-pc

broken-pc

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

My cousin built this system around three years ago, and had it running for literally a week, then it started randomly losing signal to the monitor, and it has been sitting in a closet ever since, until my main pc went down, anyway the pc is mine now, and I need it fixed. When I first got the pc a month ago, I swapped the video card from his Sapphire hd 7850 to my Sapphire hd 7950 3gb for obvious reasons, and it worked just fine, everything seemed good, except that every once in a while, there would be intermittent loss of signal to the tv, and I also noticed when at idle, the tv would go to stand by, and then I could not get signal to the tv without shutting down the pc, after restart it seemed fine.

Two days ago, I was surfing the web, and all of a sudden the tv loses signal, and I cannot get it back, even after shutting down. The first thing I thought was some sort of HDMI glitch, so I borrowed my girlfriends monitor and hooked it up with my DVI cord, to no avail. Someone suggested removing the cmos battery for a half an hour to reset the bios settings, and that did work for about 3 hours....now back to square one. Now when trying to boot, sometimes I have signal to my tv 3/4 of the boot cycle, then it's gone....sometimes no signal at all. And sometimes my cpu fan goes to maximum rpm, until I shut it down. Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on with this pc, because I am lost.

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate 
Motherboard- Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
Processor- AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition
Ram- 8gb Corsair
Video card- Sapphire hd 7950 3gb
Power supply- Corsair GS 600 

Edited;

Just to update, I removed and cleaned both sticks of ram, and only re-installed one.  The pc booted fine, so I decided to play a game for two hours, and everything went fine. I am in the process of running a burn in program called Heavyload, and everything is running well. Here is my temps and voltages one hour thirty-seven minutes into the burn in

Untitled4_zpsqa4ot2vp.png

Edited by broken-pc, 29 December 2016 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the help guy's. I guess I will just blindly start buying parts, until I get it right.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Id start with a good clean of all parts, can you get in to the bios on that computer or it dousen't even post anymore ?

#4 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

I think it's posting, I just can't see it, because I have no signal. When I pulled the cmos battery, I reset all bios settings to optimized default settings, and it seemed to work fine, until the pc was running for 3 hours. Then it lost signal, and my cpu fan went crazy. Now I only have signal for part of the boot cycle, if I have any at all, and sometimes the only thing that happens is my cpu fan goes nuts.  I know for sure it's not a video card issue, because this has happened with two video cards.

Edited by broken-pc, 29 December 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

When you changed graphic cards did you install the drivers for the other graphics card?  The graphics card should have come with a CD with the drivers for the card.  If you didn't install the drivers Windows will assign drivers for the different card.  These drivers may not be appropriate for this card and won't function properly.

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

From what i understand it can't even post and you have two video cards, next in line would be to clean everything/ reseat everything as well try and run the system on min hardware meaning if thiers add on cards you don't need remove em for testing and as for ram go down to one stick of ram, if it won't post change ran sticks, and test all dimm slots with one ram stick.

#7 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

When you changed graphic cards did you install the drivers for the other graphics card?  The graphics card should have come with a CD with the drivers for the card.  If you didn't install the drivers Windows will assign drivers for the different card.  These drivers may not be appropriate for this card and won't function properly.

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

The drivers were installed, the same issue happened with the other graphics card also, that is why I am leaning towards the motherboard being defective. 

#8 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

From what i understand it can't even post and you have two video cards, next in line would be to clean everything/ reseat everything as well try and run the system on min hardware meaning if thiers add on cards you don't need remove em for testing and as for ram go down to one stick of ram, if it won't post change ran sticks, and test all dimm slots with one ram stick.

Ok, I will try to post with one stick of ram, I will test all slots. What do you suggest to clean everything...rubbing alcohol?

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

rubbing alcohol

Should be contact cleaner but ya you could use that too, in a pinch i like zippo gas.

when your in their too look for bad caps on the mobo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Edited by shadow_647, 29 December 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

Btw just looked at a pic of your mobo, you should try puting the video card in eatch slot to see what happens too, as well remember to remove the power cord from the PSU befor messing with things and wait 10sec after you do, as well touch the case with your hand befor going in, this removes static problems from your body.

As well run the system on min hardware when testing, unplug everything you dont need like dvd drive and hdd, all were trying to do at this point is get the computer to post or make some bios beep codes.

Edited by shadow_647, 29 December 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

Ok, I will try to post with one stick of ram, I will test all slots. What do you suggest to clean everything...rubbing alcohol?

Unless you are going to change the thermal compound in the CPU assembly or on a graphics card there is not need to use alcohol to clean anything.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

ok, I removed both sticks of ram cleaned them, and only put one back in. my pc booted just fine. now I am just playing the waiting game to see if the problem shows it's face again. I don't by any means think the problem is solved....we will see if it runs smoothly all day. I am gonna start a game, and work it for a few hours.

Edited by broken-pc, 29 December 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

If it was just grease on the ram pins that was cleaned with rubbing alcohol the then your lucky, funny thing is sometimes that's all it takes, do post back if its problem solved.

#14 broken-pc

broken-pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

Another thing that I forgot to mention, is that there was a time that this happened, and I could get no signal right away after re boot, but after sitting for a few hours it booted and worked just fine....it was almost like something overheated, which is hard to believe given the more then adequate ventilation of this computer case.  The case is a CM Storm.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

Nice case, speaking of heat you do any burn-in testing + check voltages + heal levels under full load ?

And heat sink is what ?

Edited by shadow_647, 29 December 2016 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users