Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaning WIN laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 scififan

scififan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

HI all,

I had a problem with my laptop, that I finally fixed. I couldn't get to any sites, kept getting an ERR connection timed out. I deleted Macafee and Norton, now it seems to work.

Q - How can I clean the laptop without knowing what is what? I know not to clear my videos, documents, etc., but why can I delete besides cache/cookies, browsing history? Is WIndows Defender good enough to use as a firewall? I don't want the ERR connection to happen again. I have a used laptop w/ NO win cds, no restore point...what can I do?

(My former topic was moved to "All with malware" where is that on this forum?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:38 AM

I dont recommend Windows Defender.It has very bad protection. You should use Avast or Avira.I am using ESET antivirus and ESET is not free. Also I recommend you to install Malwarebytes Antimalware which is on demand virus scanner (if you want real time protection you must buy licence so I recommend you to install Malwarebytes with Avast or Avira just to be more secure).

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

Open topic in Am I Infected forum:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635528/cant-get-to-certain-sites-anymore/#entry4145820 .

Please complete this topic before beginning any new topics here at BC.

This Win 8 topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users