Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome: closed or not? (when running CCleaner)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Pro, Avast Premier, MBAM Premium, MBAE Premium, CryptoPrevent, WinPatrol, etc.

I use CCleaner Pro more or less regularly to clean out junk.  No special tweaks except I set it to exempt certain cookies like the one that keeps me logged into BC <G>.  If Chrome is open, CCleaner asks permission to close it.  I give permission.  Then it takes too long (forever) to close Chrome.  Chrome has disappeared from the screen, but CCleaner seems to think it is still running and won't clean the Chrome cache, etc., no matter how long I wait.  The same thing happens even if I close Chrome BEFORE launching CCleaner.  CCleaner still thinks Chrome is open and tries repeatedly (forever) to close Chrome.  It offers the choice of waitiing, or of forcing Chrome to close (even when Chrome is already closed).

If I restart the computer and run CCleaner right away, no such problem; but after I have run Chrome once, CCleaner seems forever after to think Chrome is running even when it is not (or at least not visibly, having been closed).

Is there some setting in Chrome I have to change to stop this from happening?  Or what's going on here?

Except in very rare cases Chrome is the only browser I use - though Microsoft keeps trying to tell me that MS Edge is safer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hi:

Disclaimer: I do not use Chrome and I do not let CCleaner touch Firefox (my preferred browser), based on longstanding experience with the two programs and advice from the mozillazine forums (Firefox cleans up fine after itself, especially if settings are properly configured).

Having said that, "best practices" when using CCleaner would be to close any program you have configured it to clean BEFORE running CCleaner.

Chrome, in particular, with all its separate processes, may not be closing down elegantly or completely when you let CCleaner do it.

I suspect you are ending up with some (at least) minor corruption in Chrome doing it the way you are doing it.

Bottom line:

1) Close Chrome and any other program you have configured CCleaner to clean; and THEN

2) Run CCleaner.

That will probably alleviate some/all of your issues, assuming that your Chrome profile is not already damaged.

HTH,

MM

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

I have been doing exactly that, with what appear to be satisfactory results;  Think I was just being lazy without quite realizing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users