Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem seeing all drives in USB3 4drive bay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DPaulku

DPaulku

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

I've been struggling for quite a while now with a two year old Vantec NexStar HX4 4drive enclosure.

I'm using its USB 3 interface on an "House Brand" i5 Intel tower system (16gb ram) that also includes 2, 2TB internal HDDs, a 2TB WD Passport external HDD and a USB printer.

The  drive bay worked fine initially, probably with less of a load back then, but then started to fail to "hook up" the HX4 drives. I first had it populated with three 1T Seagate 7200rpm drives and one 500gb Seagate.

It would cycle through several rounds of lighting up the drive indicators (in order, top down) then they'd all shut off... then start up again and cycle through the powering up... many times.  Sometimes it would settle down... mostly I'd just turn it off, unplug the USB connection, reboot and start over.  Hit or miss success. After long sessions of run time, shutting down the PC would often leave the HX4 drives still spinning instead of shutting down, as it is supposed to do.

I've recently updated the HX4 by changing out the 1TB drives with 2TB Toshibas and keeping one 1TB Seagate. I was hoping that this might make the HX4 happy.  Not so much.  At best it will see 3 out of 4 drives. I've checked the drives for viability, one at a time, and they are easily mounted by the controller.

I'm thinking, for  no particular reason, that my base machine is unable to manage all the USB load that I'm asking it to carry... but am at a loss as to how to prove it or whip it into shape. That or this particular drive bay is less than up to the task of managing this load.

Before I fix the problem by replacing the base system I thought I'd lay this out for the pros to comment.  Any insights are appreciated.

FWIW, I record and edit live music. I've been doing it basically 120 dates a year for the past 10  years and I have a lot of files.  Without turning my hobby into an exercise in backup management and archiving to DVD, I continue to keep them handy. I do have some cloud backup started but it's not enough to cover this system entirely.

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2016 - 07:32 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

I've recently updated the HX4 by changing out the 1TB drives with 2TB Toshibas and keeping one 1TB Seagate. I was hoping that this might make the HX4 happy.  Not so much.  At best it will see 3 out of 4 drives. I've checked the drives for viability, one at a time, and they are easily mounted by the controller.

Well no problems then if you can still get at the data one drive at a time, my self id back up the back ups to somewhere different before doing anything if possible.

Btw you do know their are limits to how many things you can plug in to the same USB hub, if you do too many it will power down to protect it self and that's normal

#3 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

Shadow' thanks for the reply. I didn't know, but suspected, that the USB handling power must be limited. I'm not really using a hub as such, but rather the two USB3 ports on the front of the machine; one for the PassPort and one for the 4 drive bay.

I do wonder if it couldn't work better some  how.  I'm too ignorant to know where to look for more information...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,587 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Manufacturer and model...for this 4-drive component?

Louis

#5 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Louis, Happy Holidays to you.

.... a two year old Vantec NexStar HX4 4drive enclosure.

Not much in the way of tech docs with this. It did indicate hot swapping was possible.

I will attempt to find out if a driver update for this USB3 device is available...

Edited by DPaulku, 29 December 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,587 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Well...considering that the 1-year warranty period has passed...I would not be overly surprised if the device is the problem.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/488 .

Louis

#7 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

Louis, do you think what I have "hanging" on my USB3 system is an overload?  I'd gladly investigate a different drive bay if not. Otherwise it looks like I'm going to just have to know which drives I need prior to powering the thing up.

Thanks for your time, as always.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,587 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

Your device appears to be powered...any consideration of the USB ports for mare than data access is a non-factor, in that case.

Moved topic to External Hardware from Internal.

Louis

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Agreed, didn't know what the setup was till i saw what the device was in the link, for a min there i thought he had like 8 usb devices going all at the same time lol.

#10 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

Ha, at one time I did have 4 separate external HDD hanging on to USB2 ports... hence the enclosure with larger drives.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a suitable (not too expensive) alternative to this Vantec box?

thanks in advance

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,587 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

I don't believe in using USB drives...I prefer to have internally-attached drives inside the desktop case.  I would use controller cards before I employed USB hard drives...personal preference.  Easier to troubleshoot connection/drive issues, faster than USB.

If you insist on using external USB drives...I suggest you just use one large enough for your data needs, rather than 4 of varying size.  And make sure that it's powered.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users