Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger Live - Video

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

I can get video on my lan just great but not outside of it. Instant messaging and voice is fine - just no video. My camera works fine as I can send email video with no problem using various programs. Would it be a good idea to use a static ip and open some ports in my gateway in order to get video? My firewall is disabled and the gateway firewall is set to basic. Would DMZ help even more? Would disabling Nat be wise? I have been reading up but am not sure where to draw the line. It's not worth opening my box up to the world in order to get a video. However I did buy a webcam and would like to use it. This problem was with msn messenger only. I have since downloaded msn messenger live 8.0 but have not tried it yet. Maybe I am writing for no reason and it will work with live. However I would appreciate any thoughts on how far I should disable my defenses. Another thing I should mention is that my kids say their online gaming is working just fine and that I should not change a thing. They play D&D online and World of Warcraft. After reading up on gateways I find it amazing that they can play any game at all online. I have visited portforward.com and according to them everything you do needs a static Ip and forwarded ports. With NAT an DHCP enabled and a hardware firewall, I would think that a connection would not even take place. I wanted to use my hammer again to tweak the video but took a breadth and decided to write first. Thanks in advance for all replies. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users