Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky Total Security or Emsisoft Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

I've been using Kaspersky Total Security for the last year.  I've had a few issues with the program, but once I upgraded it seems to be working better now.  I was originally going to go with Emsisoft, but Kaspersky was a lot cheaper (I have 5 computers) and still highly recommend on this site.  I know this is probably a dumb question, but should I be concerned continuing to use Kaspersky (Russian company) given all of the espionage claims floating around the in the media?    

Regardless of the AV I choose for this year I was considering is adding another tool to my AV for further protection. I was thinking about getting a subscription to Zemana, Malwarebytes, or Hitman Pro.  I just thought adding those to Kaspersky or Emsisoft would give me the best possible suite of tools to protect my computers from most threats.   I know Quietman is not a huge fan of the suites, but I also don't have his technical expertise. Please let me know what you guys think this is worthwhile or is one of these suites good enough.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yes Kaspersky is a good choice and a lot of our members use it. You are correct...I am not an advocate of suites and for the benefit of all readers, I will explain why. Anti-virus Software which includes a firewall and other features are typically called a Security suite (package). Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.Zemana, Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro are all good choices. However, Malwarebytes has released Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement. While it (like Emsisoft) is no longer intended to be a supplement to your anti-virus, the new version is still compatible with most anti-virus software.

You may want to read this Malwarebytes 3.0 BC Discussion Topic
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

In the long run Emsisoft is cheaper IMO, because of their customer discount (25% after the first year and 5% after that, up to a maximum of 60%). It seems expensive at first, but when you stick around for some time then they become cheaper.

If you are a home user, consider using Emsisoft Anti-Malware instead. The Windows Firewall is good enough, and using it with EAM gives you fairly comprehensive protection at a reasonable cost.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

Hi:

For the record, Kaspersky also offers loyalty discounts on their subscriptions (and multi-PC and multi-year discounts).

And their boxed, standalone products -- when purchased from a reputable, approved source -- can be even a bit cheaper.

This is especially so since their current consumer licensing policy is -1 / +3.

IOW a 2016 license can be used on: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019.

Having said that, one does have to be careful to shop ONLY from an approved seller and to purchase a license valid for one's locale (KL uses strict geographic control over licensing to combat piracy).

They also have a multi-device license to cover Windows, Mac and Android devices with one license.

IMHO as just a home user: the Windows Firewall is not as robust as the firewall & HIPS in KIS.

I don't mind paying what might end up to be a few more pennies per day per computer.

But they are both good products. 

And Emsisoft would be my 2nd-choice if I ever had to move from KIS.

The choice is up to the user, of course.

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 05 January 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)-oriented firewalls can be very confusing and frustrating for the average user since they typically generate alerts of suspicious processes and security-related system modifications (whether they come from malware or legitimate programs), blocks the action, then requires you to make a decision as to what to do or what programs to run. According to Emsisoft, HIPS are recommended for experts who can fully understand the alerts they produce and take advantage of the extra protection layer this can provide...see Are firewalls a waste of time? No. Heres why. For the average user, the Windows Firewall is sufficient without having to learn how to use and configure advanced settings.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

Hi:

That's true, @quietman7.

Back in the day, "Kaspersky" was a bit of a "niche" product for "enthusiasts", "tweakers" and advanced users.

In the past few years, however, their UI/UX has come a long way towards catering to a broader set of users (perhaps to the consternation of some of the old-school "enthusiasts").

TBH, "out of the box" it's actually quite smooth and unobtrusive.

And it still allow a bit of tweaking for those who wish to do so.

I've never had a problem with managing it, although I am nothing more than a basic home user myself.

I think it strikes an excellent balance between strength and user-friendliness.

For the record, Scott, I use KIS, not KTS.  The added features in KTS do not suit my needs, but your mileage may vary.

Again, although I have no personal experience with Emsisoft products, they would probably be a close 2nd-choice if I ever moved away from Kaspersky.

Just my two cents (made of zinc, not copper), and worth less. :)

Cheers,

MM

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

...I am nothing more than a basic home user myself...

Could have fooled me. :lol:

#8 GaryFinch

GaryFinch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Yes Kaspersky is a good choice and a lot of our members use it. You are correct...I am not an advocate of suites and for the benefit of all readers, I will explain why. Anti-virus Software which includes a firewall and other features are typically called a Security suite. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

Zemana, Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro are all good choices. However, Malwarebytes has released Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement. While it (like Emsisoft) is no longer intended to be a supplement to your anti-virus, the new version is still compatible with most anti-virus software.

You may want to read this Malwarebytes 3.0 BC Discussion Topic

I've been using Kaspersky Total Security on my primary systems for several years now and have found it to be one of the best I have ever run. Being a tech, I'm fortunate to have several systems running at any time, so I am able to run different security products on a couple of my lab systems for comparison. In that regard, I have found Kaspersky currently to offer the best protection, with the least problems otherwise.

Edited by GaryFinch, 11 July 2018 - 03:06 AM.

#9 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

May I ask: which of these 2 used the lower "Total CPU Time" over a period of 1 hour or more?

P.S. I'm a newbie. Aloha from Hawaii to all.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users