Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USMT user migration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

I am having a little trouble getting a user migration to complete successfully. I am trying to upgrade a PC from Windows 10 pro (build 1607) x86 to x64. I understand and have no problem with installing the x64 version and applications from scratch. My problem is getting all the user info migrated over. I learned the hard way that Windows 10 does not have the Easy Transfer Tool, so I am forced to use the USMT found in Windows AIK for windows 10.

I have used the USMT once before and it was not pretty to say the least. Is there anything out there that can guide me through the process of running USMT successfully or help decipher the logs better? Last time I tried to use it, nothing worked for me. This time, I kept getting loadstate return code 27 or 11. Per technet, I know code 7 has to do with permissions, but everything had full domain admin permissions and code 11 is invalid parameters. I believe I used the correct syntax. The commands I used are as follows. I added general output status and return codes.

xcopy \\fileserver\USMT\x86 c:\USMTx86

cd /d <USMTpath>
scanstate.exe /genmigxml:genMIG.xml

<Success!>
   <Scansatate return code 0>

cd /d c:\USMTx86
scanstate \\fileserver\migration\mystore /i:migdocs.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /l:scan.log

<Success!>
   <Scanstate return code 0>

xcopy \\fileserver\USMT\amd64 c:\USMTx64

cd /d c:\USMTx64
loadstate \\fileserver\migration\mystore /i:migdocs.xml /i:migapp.xml /lae /lac /v:13 /l:load.log

<Failed!>
   <Loadstate Return code 27>

or I get return code 11 for the loadstate.

The log says: loadstate \\fileserver\migration\mystore  ###ERROR###  -> /i:migdocs.xml /i:migapp.xml /lae /lac /v:13 /l:load.log

I am working on a domain admin account, Migration store has full admin permissions and the new install is a domain member with all apps installed with only domain and local admin accounts when I tried to load the user info. 

Any ideas what may be going wrong?

Edit: corrected return code numbers.

Edited by Nightspear, 28 December 2016 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

I got it to work. I missed setting my sharing permissions. The share file had correct permissions but the share itself did not. My syntax is correct. 

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

thanks for replying with the solution!

it makes it easier for those searching for help on the same issues to find good help :)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users